NM
Posted By
Nic_McPhee
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We transferred our Mac OS 10.3 install to a new hard drive several months ago and have never been able to get Photoshop Elements to install since then. We get the permissions problem described in the FAQ and on this support page <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f0f2.htm>. I’ve repeatedly tried both approaches to no avail.

Can someone provide a little more detail on what specific permissions are needed where? I’m quite experienced with Unix and would be happy to fiddle with the permissions by hand if I only knew what needed to be changed and why.

Thanks,

Nic McPhee

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
Nic,

Can someone provide a little more detail on what specific permissions are needed where? I’m quite experienced with Unix and would be happy to fiddle with the permissions by hand if I only knew what needed to be changed and why.

Have you tried to reinstall PSE with the exact same username you had before? Try it, perhaps it will work.

Otherwise, here’s what I’d do. ***WARNING*** The following is a totally wild guess, I never tried it and I cannot guarantee it will work.

I’d change the owner (chown) and permissions (chmod) of this folder to your current user :

/Library/Application Support/Adobe

Make sure to change all files and subfolders in this folder.

Report back if it does, or does not, work.

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 1, 2004
"Ray" wrote in message
: Nic,
:
:
: I’d change the owner (chown) and permissions (chmod) of this folder to your
: current user :
:

Oh just as I thought UNIX … underlying every new Mac is a system with parts missing … sorry for bad pun but the Win_devil made me do it. 😉

g.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
I play with UNIX all day long at work, but when I do so, I only use the terminal. That’s when I realize how far away Mac OS X is from pure, evil, UNIX 😉

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 1, 2004
Ray

Well the GUI seems more friendly in OS X than the two flavours for Linux. Once I pull up a console window I feel very comfortable with both. 😉 I guess I am stuck on Windows GUI but UNIX does beat DOS.

Grant
SP
Steve_Petree
Jun 1, 2004
As the Adobe Support people told me, delete the "/Library/Application Support/Adobe" folder & re-install PSE2.

You will have to re-install any other Adobe products as well.

BOL,
Steve Petree
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
What’s BOL?

Bring your Own Liquor.. ?
Beefed On Liquid ?
Beholder Of Latency?
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
Grant,

At work, we use Sun mainly (a few Sequents and HPs as well). It’s not bad, only the mouse pointer is reversed in menus. Looks odd… And windows are Mac OS 9 alike. Looks old, in a way.

Ray
NM
Nic_McPhee
Jun 1, 2004
This did the trick – big thanks! Now one might wonder why Adobe doesn’t mention this on their support page…

Again, thanks to all!

Nic
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 1, 2004
Best Of Luck?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections