Posted By
Richard Coencas
Jul 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dan,

I’m certain that Mac hit it on the head. Look at the properties of the file in Windows and not Elements and I’m sure you will see that the file is much smaller. Elements has to uncompress the file to open it.

Rich

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
rocket-sauce
Jul 12, 2003
I’ve found that Windows Explorer generally reports filesizes about 5 to 10 or 15kb larger than Elements JPEG Options. This can be especially annoying when working with small images. For example, I’ve had situations where I’ve edited a 12kb image and saved it with a target size of under 10kb and, even on the lowest jpeg quality setting, I’ve ended up with a very bad looking image that is larger than the original with which I started.

Rob
R
rocket-sauce
Jul 12, 2003
DT
Don Tosaw
Jul 15, 2003
Rob,
Thanks for replying to my post. It looks like you are experiencing the same problem. However, I do not believe that it has to do with Windows Explorer incorrctly reporting the size of images. If I take one of these JPEGs I created using PS Elements and attempt to compress it using MS FrontPage, I end up with a nice looking image with a very small file size. For example, I can take a 14 KB image and easily compress it to 3 KB.
DT
Don Tosaw
Jul 15, 2003
Mac,
Thanks for replying to my post. I am looking at the size of these JPEGs in Windows Explorer. If I take one of the JPEGs I created using PS Elements and attempt to compress it using MS FrontPage, I end up with a nice looking image with a very small file size. For example, I can take a 14 KB image and easily compress it to 3 KB. Furthermore, when submitting one these images for use in a product listing on a site that limits me to 12 KB, I find the image sizes I see in Windows Explorer, to be consistent with size assessment of the site. If I try to submit a 13 KB image, I get an error stating that the size is over 12 KB. If I submit an 11 KB image, no problem.
DT
Don Tosaw
Jul 15, 2003
Rich,
Thanks for replying to my post. I AM looking at the size of these JPEGs in Windows Explorer. If I take one of the JPEGs I created using PS Elements and attempt to compress it using MS FrontPage, I end up with a nice looking image with a very small file size. For example, I can take a 14 KB image and easily compress it to 3 KB. Furthermore, when submitting one these images for use in a product listing on a site that limits me to 12 KB, I find the image sizes I see in Windows Explorer, to be consistent with size assessment of the site. If I try to submit a 13 KB image, I get an error stating that the size is over 12 KB. If I submit an 11 KB image, no problem.
R
rocket-sauce
Jul 16, 2003
@ Don

A thought just occurred to me. Since it looks like we’re both having an issue when saving small images for use on the web, maybe instead of using the normal Elements save option we should use the Save for Web option. I just read in another thread that this strips out all of the non-image info that might be getting saved when using the normal save option.

I just tried saving a very large image to 100×100. Using the regular save option I ended up with a size of 14kb even though Elements estimated it at about 8kb. Using Save for Web, I was able to get a good 100×100 image of only 4kb.

Hopefully, problem solved.

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections