GM
Posted By
Glenn_Mitchell
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ever take a landscape picture on a rainy, dreary day? Did it come out dark, flat, and dull looking?

If you look at the histogram, what you’re likely to see is two clumps of pixels. One up around the highlights and three-quarter tones and the other down around the shadows and quarter tones. The middle tones will be as flat as your image!

The trick is to increase those middle tones. But Curves and Levels won’t usually do the trick. Wholesale Curves/Levels adjustments invite problems with posterization.

One solution is to use a tripod, bracket your shots, and make a composite image. Another solution is to use a graduated neutral density filter in front of your lens. Both solutions are a pain.

As long as you shoot for the midtones and do not burn out your highlights or stop up your shadows, you can get lots of color and brightness back in your image *AND* still have lots of interesting sky detail, too.

I’ve posted a new tutorial on my Web site that shows you how to restore your midtones without posterizing the image with a big Curves or Levels adjustment. And all you need is one image, too.

I spent two weeks in Scotland last May/June and it was dreary the whole time. That didn;t stop me from taking some wonderful shots. My tutorial shows you how I took one from a dark, dull image to a really nice seaside landscape.

Interested? Take a look at my new tutorial, "Restore Those Midtones."

<http://www.thelightsright.com/DigitalDarkroom/Tutorials.htm>

Cheers,

Mitch

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 20, 2004
That would be better if the link would work.
GM
Glenn_Mitchell
Feb 20, 2004
The link works kust fine, Rene. 😉

It takes you right to the tutorial page. From there, you can click on the tutorial, and it will take you right to the .PDF file.

Cheers,

Mitch

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections