M
Posted By
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I received a graphic from someone who created it in Windows using a program I have never heard of that would only allow him to save it as an Illustrator EPS Full color image.

I’m Mac based using Photoshop, Quark, etc. I’m not that familiar with Illustrator, though I do have it. However, Illustrator won’t open the document. Photoshop will. My dilemma is that I can’t change anything even after converting it to a Tif. I need the graphic to be black and one spot color. No matter what I do, it still prints 4 plates CMYK.

Can anyone please advise?
Thank you.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
Todie
Feb 20, 2004
Can you place the original image in Quark and print it?
If you have to make changes, try to save an EPS from Quark and open in Illustrator.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
I can and I will try that. Thank you.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
No matter what I do, it still prints 4 plates CMYK.

What mode is your Photoshop file in? CMYK? That would explain the 4 plates. Look at the channels palette.

I doubt very much that the original file has spot colors defined in it, but you never know.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
It was that way under channels. What can I do to make a spot color and get a black and a spot color plate? I’m still having problems. I’ve gone through about a ream of paper. I’m going to open it on a windows machine and see what happens.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
Does the image LOOK like it is only shades of black and this other color you want?

Regarding the original file:

Did you try file>place (unlinked) in Illustrator?

Do you have Freehand? If so try opening in that.

Or print a ps file from QXP, distill that to PDF, and try opening the PDF in Illustrator.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
No, the other color, when I can get it, shows as gray.
I don’t have Freehand. My Illustrator won’t let me set separations or change color. I’ll try both it and Photoshop after I PDF from QXP.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
Stuff the original, and email it to me at

Tell me what area need to be what PMS color.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
Thank you.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
M:

The original file ends in ".ai"

That makes it a native Illustrator file. It was saved in version 8.

You do NOT want to be opening this in Photoshop.

The Illustrator file is all vector, don’t rasterize unless you really have to.

I’m a bit confused, you originally said that "Illustrator won’t open the document" but later, you said "My Illustrator won’t let me set separations or change color" which implies that you had the file open but could not figure out what you needed to do.

I’m guessing you can open it in Illustrator, so do so. That is what you need to do.

Note that all of the paths are way up to the left off the page-box, (see navigator) so you may want to select them all and put them in the center.

This is a very simple file.

There are only 3 colors involved:

0c0m0y100k, 0c0m0y25k, and 0c100m100y0k.

The first 2 are OK. The third is your problem but the fix is easy.

First select windows>swatch libraries>pantone coated and when the window opens up scroll to the color you want (PMS 192), and drag it into your swatches palette.

Now select any of the red shapes, then edit>select>same fill, and all the red shapes should be selected.

Click the PMS 192 swatch in your swatch palette and all the red shapes will become that spot color.

Save as EPS to place in QXP.

Make sure your document color mode in Illustrator is CMYK not RGB.

I have done the above in win98 using AIv8. I will send it to you if you want, but I think it would be more valuable for you to do it yourself.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 20, 2004
Just because it has .ai doesnt mean it was created by .ai.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
It wasn’t created by AI. It was created by some obscure Windows program that I’ve never heard of that starts with a "G" or something, and it would only allow the person who created it to save it as an Illustrator EPS or another type of EPS. It would not allow him to save it as Tif, JPEG, PDF or anything else. When I try to open it in Illustrator or place it in Illustrator, all I get is an empty space. I can open it in Photoshop and convert it to Tif or what have you, then I can open it in Illustrator.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
True. I often take the properties of any given file too literally on a PC.

Anyway, one other suggestion to M:

Select everything and scale it in Illustrator to 25%. Otherwise you will have a rather weighty EPS file by virtue of the preview.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
I had the tif the size I needed, you had asked for the original file and that’s what the guy sent. I know. It is huge.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
M:

It’s not an EPS it’s a .AI

When I try to open it in Illustrator or place it in Illustrator, all I get is an empty space

That’s because everything is way up to the left.

keep zooming out and you will see it.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 20, 2004
Oh, let me guess – GERBER?
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
I can open it in Photoshop and convert it to Tif or what have you, then I can open it in Illustrator.

dude…

You need to educate yourself on the difference between vector and raster.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
Oh, let me guess – GERBER?

Interestingly enough the "company" field in the information tab of file properties says "erber"
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
I know the difference between vector and raster, LOL. I didn’t realize all the stuff was way up at the top. Again, I’m not as versed in AI, yet, as I am in other programs. And I have learned today, thank you again.

P.S. I’m a Dudette. Be nice. 🙂
J
JasonSmith
Feb 20, 2004
It was more of a ‘Whoah’ type dude statement rather than gender related.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
Gotcha 😉 Again, thank you all for your help. I’m glad you were here. I’ve never had an AI file way off the page like that, boy, do I feel, DUH!!
J
JasonSmith
Feb 20, 2004
M – I’m in the same boat. I have a ".ai" file supplied to me the other day that was completely wacked.

Open in Illustrator and there are tons of logos and elements missing, masks going 20 miles out into space. Open in Flexisign (yeah I know) and it’s perfect. Getting it OUT of Flexi is another story.

I imagine this ".ai" file was created either by Flexi or Gerber.

To get it back into the real world of the living took a complete rebuild in Illustrator.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
Sorry if I came off a bit brutish, but too often I believe I perceive people who apparently rasterize vector art into Photoshop blithely, without understanding what they are giving up by doing so.

PS: I emailed my new one to you, thinking that maybe you DID have a real problem opening in AI. So you can trash that if you want. Don’t forget about scaling in AI or you’ll have a 4-5MB Eps file on your hands. Scaled to 25% will get you under a MB.
M
M._Hammet
Feb 20, 2004
"Sorry if I came off a bit brutish, but too often I believe I perceive people who apparently rasterize vector art into Photoshop blithely, without understanding what they are giving up by doing so."

I’m happy to tell you I do know, LOL. Thank you for all your help and the instructions. I still feel a bit, DUH!! LOL.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections