RK
Posted By
Richard Klimesh
Jul 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to outline some yellow letters in black. When I use the Find Edges filter it makes the letters white with a yellow outline. I see not adjustment for outline color. Please advise.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

I
imacgirl
Jul 30, 2003
Richard,

The way I would do it is by doing this: Using Edit>Stroke

First you much get your text off the text layer so this can be accomplished. This is what I just tried:

1) I typed the text in yellow (on its own text layer)

2) Created a new white layer below the text layer

3) Go to Layer > Merge Visible and merge these two layers

4) Select the white background with the Magic Wand (I used a tolerance of 32)

5) Go to Select > Inverse

6) Go to Edit > Stroke (here you will be able to outline your letters). Choose your pixel width, color (click on the color box to open the color picker if you want other choices) and location. Hit OK.

7) Go to Select > Deselect and you should have your letters outlined.

I’m not sure if there is an easier way, maybe someone else has a better method. Hope this helps you.

EDIT: Forgot the last step:
8) To remove the white background around the text do the following: Use the Magic Wand, select the white background, go to Edit > Clear and then Select > Deselect. The outlined text will now be on a transparent layer.

Barb
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Richard, glad that worked. I tried it with a 72pt font so I didn’t encounter the jagged edges.

Give this a try: With the letters still selected go to Select > Modify > Smooth and set it at various pixels and see if that helps get rid of the jagged appearance.

EDIT: Last step is go to Select > Deselect to see the results. If that doesn’t help to smooth it maybe try a lower pixel # on the stroke.

Barb
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Barb, good one!!

🙂

Chuck
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Chuck, thanks! You mean you can understand my convoluted instructions? I’m trying to keep it short…not easy for me! The simplest of tasks always appear way too complex.

😉

Barb
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
I can’t seem to duplicate this problem. With a 24 pt font and a 3 px stroke there is no jagged edge unless you blow it up. A stroke can only be applied to rasterized text with the Elements program. At actual pixels there does not appear to be a jagged edge but blowing up rasterized text will pixelate it and in turn cause it to appear jagged.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi, some things just can’t be simplified and still be effective….

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Chuck, i have been spoiled with full photoshop program…can do quite a bit with Vector text in there 😉 I have to say it’s where I go to do the heavy stuff.
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Richard, send it along. My e-mail address is under imacgirl here on the forum, click on it.

Barb
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Rich, my address is also available by clicking on my name.
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi,

I just looked at Richard’s file and it is indeed jagged. I tried it also and mine looks the same at 100%. Must be doing something wrong here…

Barb
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Barb, what are the pixel dimensions of Richard’s image?

Chuck
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Chuck,

They’re 300 X 150.

Did you check your mail?

Barb
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Barb, I think the problem is that there aren’t enough pixels for any smoothing to occur; the largest numeral (the 0) is only about 45 pixels by 68 pixels plus or minus. That really doesn’t leave any room for smooth arcs as you can’t split a pixel.

But it’s late and I’m tired, so someone else better check me on that…

🙂

Chuck
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Chuck, I just tried it with a 72pt font and got the same jagged edges. Wonder if it’s doing this because of the selection with the Magic Wand prior to using Edit> Stroke?

Will look at this some more tomorrow.

Good night…

🙂

Barb
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Well, I’m still up and my wheels are spinning while I’m working on some other stuff.

Here’s another angle on this…totally different. It’s not an outline, but it makes a duplicate of the 2 different text colors which you can drag around with the Move Tool. This way you won’t have jagged edges created with Edit>Stroke. The only drawback is the text is not totally outlined, but it does add some dimension to it.

1) Create a text layer with the 24pt font in black (or any color you want).

2) Create another text layer with the 24pt font in pale yellow (or any color you want).

3) Select the Pale yellow text layer in the layers palette and go to Image>Resize>Scale. In the width and height boxes type 90% in each one (play around with different %’s). This will reduce the pale yellow text slightly. I tried using two different pt sizes for the fonts, but it didn’t work as well as using scale and reducing via %.

4) Drag the pale yellow text layer around with the Move Tool, while the black text layer is below it in the layers palette.

5) When you like what you see go to Layer>Merge Visible.

Give that a try…

🙂

Barb
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Barb, just sent it back to you and i did not have the problem although the text is no longer vector.

I think it’s time i created some stroke layer styles for text for Elements. Yup, I’ll do that today. This way there wont be a need to rasterize the text before applying a stroke.
PL
Paul L UK
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi

We’ll all be queueing up for a few strokes from you !!!! 😉

LOL – Sorry, couldn’t resist

Paul
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Paul, i had it coming 😉

Stroke styles for vector text are done. They range from 1px to 10px in,out and center. At the moment I only have them in black. If i get enough votes for other colors and sizes in particular I will do them for you.

Click on my name to get my e-mail address and mail me if you want them.

Jodi’s text strokes~black
around 10kb
RK
Richard Klimesh
Jul 31, 2003
One solution I’ve found is:
– start with text at 120 pt (no jaggies at this size)
– simplify layer
– stroke in black at 2 pixels
– select image (text)
– use Image/Resize/Scale to reduce text to needed size
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi, I was sure you’d have the solution to this one. You use text much more than I do. Still don’t know why mine was coming out jagged too. Did you use Elements to create to yours? I’m sure Richard would love to know how you accomplished this also. Your generous offer for your black stroke layer styles is terrific! 🙂

The book Adobe PS 7 One-Click Wow! < http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321125312/ref =lib_rd_prev_3/102-5402451-9151328?v=glance&s=books& vi=reader&img=3> has 20 different stroke layer styles along with a bunch of other really neat layer styles. It even has some darkroom layer styles that really act more like filters. These all work in Elements, I use them quite frequently.

Barb
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Richard, looks like you’ve discovered the solution, it does work well! Thanks for sharing your method, that’s something new for me.

🙂

Barb
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Barb, the 101 that I sent without jaggies;

rasterize text>Hold down ctrl key and click on text layer in palette so that the marching ants are around text and edit>stroke. This works fine for folk who don’t need to keep the text vector. Otherwise, buy full photoshop or use stroke styles.
I
imacgirl
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi, mine still looks a slight bit jagged. Wonder if it appears this way because I’m using an LCD? I’ve noticed this in the past. Thanks for your instructions and I’ll look forward to receiving your Jodi’s Stroke Layer Styles…very nice of you to offer them!

Barb
NS
Nancy S
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi,

I have PSE version 1, as I believe you do too. I didn’t know this version could use things from PS 7…thought we had to stick with PS 6 additions (cuz of the same engine)…does this using PS 7 stuff include things in addition to layer styles?

Nancy
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Nancy, i do use pe1 but i created the layer styles with PS6. I’m pretty sure the brush engine is different in 7 and not compatible with pe1 but not sure about the styles..I’ll get back to you on that one…
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Nope, PS7 styles don’t work in PE1 or PS6. PS7 styles probably work in PE2….Chuck ?
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi, yes, PS7 styles seem to work fine in PE2; there may be exceptions, of course.
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Yup thought so, thanks Chuck, i can always rely on you to answer my PE2 &/vs PS 7 questions 😉

Wonder if PS8 and PE3 will also be holding hands….i sure hope so.
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi,

Thanks for those edge styles. That will answer lots of questions that I almost always get from students in my classes. I tried them out on both colored and transparent backgrounds. After simplying them I was able to delete the background color, then pick the black edges and change them to whatever color I want.

Cool beans…….

Dick
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 1, 2003
Dick, I wanted to create the styles for those who prefered leaving the text in Vector format which is better suited for print. If you don’t need vector then i suggest you don’t use my stroke styles and use the stroke command that comes with the Elements program. You’ll have choice of color and pixel size and in,out or center stroke. After putting your text on the screen go ahead and simplify then hold down ctrl key and click on that text layer in the palette. Now you’ll have marching ants around each letter in your text…then go to edit ( windoze~right click) stroke….your choices are there. This would be easier for you than using my styles. If you want Vector for print then the styles are the way to go. Most Proffessional Graphic Artist’s who create business logos etc. for print use Adobe Illustrator which is a vector program and far better suited for this stuff…..although i have been capable with full photoshop and elements thus far 😉

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections