SanFrancisco question ( really stupid, personal topic )

JL
Posted By
jann_lipka
Feb 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
IΒ΄m going to SF next week for PSWorld ,
and it is quite a trip from Stockholm (Sweden )
Could anyone recommend a good large store that would have work wear like "carhartt!" or " Dickies" in stock .
40 % of art directors I know here in Stockholm are wearing Carhartt ( So it is a cool ad expensive brand ) ,
I know how stupid it sounds , but I find it amusing .
( and I like those clothes ) .

Sveral years ago i was buying most of my clothing at a shop named "Canal Jean" in NY ( Broadway ) , but a friend of mine says the have closed the shop …

Thanks for any recommendations .
I `ll be staying close to Moscone center , and will not rent any car …

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JL
jann_lipka
Feb 21, 2004
IΒ΄m sorry ,
I should have posted this in the lounge…
P
Phosphor
Feb 21, 2004
Here’s the best way I could find to locate a Carhartt retailer in San Francisco.

Sorry…I have no clue about the locations of the resulting ZIP code locations, but maybe you can find a ZIP code that is the same as the location of your hotel. Should be easy, though..looks like there are a TON of retailers in the S.F. area.

<http://www.carhartt.com/retailers/index.html>
D
defenestr8
Feb 21, 2004
carhartt europe is owned by carhartt america, but you won’t find the same styles in the u.s. as you will find in europe. carhartt set up a separate division to market street style clothes to european kids. they don’t sell the street style clothing in the u.s. only work clothes.

wrote in message news:…
IΒ΄m going to SF next week for PSWorld ,
and it is quite a trip from Stockholm (Sweden )
Could anyone recommend a good large store that would have work wear like "carhartt!" or " Dickies" in stock .
40 % of art directors I know here in Stockholm are wearing Carhartt ( So it is a cool ad expensive brand ) ,
I know how stupid it sounds , but I find it amusing .
( and I like those clothes ) .

Sveral years ago i was buying most of my clothing at a shop named "Canal Jean" in NY ( Broadway ) , but a friend of mine says the have closed the shop …

Thanks for any recommendations .
I `ll be staying close to Moscone center , and will not rent any car …
JF
john_findley
Feb 21, 2004
That would be 94102, I think. Moscone Center is beween 3rd and 4th streets, on Mission St, one block away from Market Street (where the street numbers begin), so the hardware store at 70 4th st. would be very close.
JF
john_findley
Feb 21, 2004
I see that the last line is misleading. Market is where building numbers begin, not street #s
RB
Richard_BRackin
Feb 21, 2004
You need to take a road-trip down to the South US.
I think they have Carhartt and Dickies right next to the fertilizer bags , weed-eaters, and spray nozzles at the Co-Op just a bit down the road…..

I’m not trying at all to be funny, sadly. πŸ˜€
JL
jann_lipka
Feb 21, 2004
Thank you very much ,
That sounds like a place for me ,
it is much more fun to buy a pair of trousers in such a
shop instead of high fashion store ( they sell Carhartt
together with Paul Smith ) here in Stockholm .
Last time I gave 120 $ for a pair of welder jeans.
regards .
T
T._C.
Feb 22, 2004
Yeah, we got’em down here. You can order some and have them Fed-Ex’d to your hotel room while in SF.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 22, 2004
You can take BART (subway/elevated train) cheaply all over the SF Bay Area, and there are two entrances on Market Street a few blocks from Moscone Center.

My suggestion would be to go to Berkeley, which is entertaining in and of itself. For decades there was a surplus store a block or two north of University on San Pablo that sold exactly what you are looking for at good prices. My last graduate work at Cal (U.C. Berkeley) was 8 years ago, however, so things change. However I suspect that you would find Telegraph Avenue from Bancroft (the edge of campus) south to be worth a trip…

Hint: Do not play 3 Card Monte or purchase illegal substances on Telegraph Avenue. You would be ripped off by either the street sharks or by the po-leece.
JF
john_findley
Feb 22, 2004
Sounds like th’ voice of experience :).
S
Shep
Feb 22, 2004
I don’t know if they all do, but the True Value Hardware store by me carries "Carhart" jeans, carpenter pants, etc. True Value is a nation-wide chain of stores in the U.S. jann, so look for one when you’re in San Francisco. Also I believe WalMart carries the "Dickies" brand.
VM
victor_maldonado
Feb 22, 2004
Hello, Allen πŸ™‚

My suggestion would be to go to Berkeley, which is entertaining in and of itself.

This brings back memories of hanging out at Cody’s Book Store where I bought most of my mushroom hunting books. and that big t-shirt store I forgot the name of.

You’re so fortunate to live up North, Allen. The gold country, the wine country, …

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
JL
jann_lipka
Feb 22, 2004
We’ve got street card players and illegal substances here in Scandinavia too, Berkeley sounds like a nice trip ,
Thanks folk for your advice ,
I put everything in my pilot , and will make "research" while in SF . Lets see ,
number one Wall Mart
number two Golden Gate .
Regards from a tourist (photo)shopper .
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 22, 2004
Best tour would be to bus to Haight/Ashbury, rent a bike there, and then ride Golden Gate Park and across the Golden Gate Bridge. Turn left as you exit the north end of the bridge and ride up into the Marin headlands perhaps a kilometer or two. It is the best view and photo of SF and the GG Bridge. Or you can walk it if you are ambitious. San Francisco is a very small (7 miles, under a million residents) but very diverse city.

Riding a bike in the city itself is not recommended unless you are an expert "city" rider.
JF
john_findley
Feb 22, 2004
There are several bicycle rental shops on Stanyan Street, where it borders Golden Gate Park on the east.

But bicycling Park Presidio Blvd from GG Park to GG Bridge would be (for me) a horror show. Safer, I think, to take Arguello or 25th to Lincoln to bridge. Be prepared for a workout.

You can easily spend a day or two in the park alone; but I agree about the view from Marin headlands.
B
Buko
Feb 23, 2004
Jann, If you have the time take the wine train up the Napa Valley. I had a friend who drove us (me and my wife) up the Valley to visit the wineries, but next time I’m going on the train.

My favorite stop was the Prager Winery where they make Port. Mmmmm….
JL
jann_lipka
Feb 23, 2004
Thanks everybody ,
IΒ΄ll try to make some of those things ,
as it looks now IΒ΄ll probably sleep ,
as I have to work almost around the clock just two days before my departure , to "catch up" with my work ( Ok , it is several annual reports.. ) Regards …
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Jann,

If you’ve seen the vineyards of France, Germany and Italy, you can skip the wine country in California. It’s vastly overrated. (With apologies to my fellow California residents.)
L
Lundberg02
Feb 24, 2004
Here we go again. Victor, San Francisco is NOT NORTH. It’s a city some where around 40 N latitude which means it’s south of the latitude of Chicago by about 70 miles. It’s 500 miles south of the latitude of Paris France and 600 or so south of the latitude of London England.
Don’t hold me to exact mileage , I just eyeballed my globe. If San Francisco is North, why haven’t I seen polar bears in Michigan? You ain’t North until you see satellite dishes pointing at the horizon. Youi ain’t North until you have 11 months of winter and one month of bad skiing. You ain’t North until everyone you know plays hockey in high school, eh?

But SF is a fun town.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Lundberg02,

Now you’re being absurd. There are such things as Northern Venezuela, Northern Colombia, Northern Cuba and Northern Mexico. The latitude of Chicago, Paris and London is totally irrelevant to the issue.

Forget about polar bears, satellite dishes and skiing, good or bad.

For anyone living in California, it’s no secret that Sacramernto, San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose are in Northern California.

Here’s the link to the free encyclopedia again:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_California>

Northern California, or "NorCal," refers to the northern portion of the state of California, roughly covering all of those counties except for the eight counties which make up Southern California: Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Imperial.

Northern California includes the region’s largest city, San Jose and its suburbs in the Silicon Valley. Other major cities include Oakland, Sacramento (the state capital) and San Francisco.

Northern California is home to two of the most-prestigious universities in the United States, Stanford University and the University of California, Berkeley, as well as smaller universities such as Humboldt State University.

It is characterized by its beautiful coastline, relatively low population density (apart from the San Francisco Bay Area and metropolitan Sacramento), and redwood forests.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
It’s cold an wet right now.

Big storm expected on Wednesday, will dump a lot of rain on San Francisco and Sacramento as well as several feet of snow in Allen’s neck of the woods.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 24, 2004
Jann Lipka knows what north is , coming from Stockholm.
All the other counties are Northern California? That would be a big surprise to anyone living in San Luis Obispo.
Whoever wrote that entry in wikipedia is an idiot.
JM
Jelle_Mellema
Feb 24, 2004
Los Angeles is South and San Francisco is North, this is a given we Californians live by. We don’t care what you think Wade, as we are the 5th economy in the world and our governor is the Terminator!
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Lundberg02,

Whoever wrote that entry in wikipedia is an idiot.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion about who the idiot is.

Anyone who thinks San Luis Obispo is in Southern California is suspect.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Here’s a map showing the boundaries between Southern and Northern California according to some folks who make their living selling real estate in California:

<http://www.houseseeker4u.com/states/CA.asp>
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Ooops! Typo:

Anyone who thinks San Luis Obispo is in Southern California is suspect.

should obviously read:

Anyone who thinks San Luis Obispo is not in Southern California is suspect.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 24, 2004
Glad you oopsed, Ramon. Otherwise…………..

The map seems to be drawn by the same idiot who writes wikipedia. Including 2/3 of the state in Northern California is ridiculous.
Central Californians would strenuously object. to their inclusion in Northern California , Ask anyone in San Luis Obispo.
Almost 60% of the population lives in the eight southern counties. Sacramento deigns to send 45% of the state’s revenues to them and spends 55% on the North, so the artificial designation shown on the map would give them a ludicrous justification.

If you have ever been in Sacramento, you would immediately notice that the city has as many freeways as LA but is only 10% as large.
San Franciscans have plenty of attitude. It used to be that SFers were generally recognized to be better dressed than LA people. But that was because SF is so chilly most of the time that you had to be fully dressed to survive. That’s why they think they live in the north, but they DON’T.

This has been fun, but even Bodega Bay is not really North, North is like Humboldt, Ft Bragg, , Russian River, etc.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 24, 2004
See what you started Jann!?

All I can say it can only happen in New York.
B
Buko
Feb 24, 2004
Forget California.

Come Oregon, we are North of Cali and proud of it.

We also have no sales tax. we’re proud of that too.
JF
john_findley
Feb 24, 2004
Getting around on the streets and freeways in Sacramento is infinitely easier than LA, San Francisco, or for that matter, Atlanta. And you can always find a parking space there.

I always thought that, if they were to divide California a la Carolinas, the North-South dividing line should start just below Big Sur on the coast and run to just below Lake Tahoe, in the Sierra.

No reason to ever go south of that line, except business (maybe).
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Feb 24, 2004
Take your laptop to your hotel room, log onto the net and enter the keywords for the products you want, buy them right there in your hotel room and have them sent to your home so you don’t have to carry excess baggage on the plane home.

Yes, You did buy them (while you were) in San Francisco.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 24, 2004
Lundberg-

I do appreciate your polemic position [pun intended] but the statement "If you have ever been in Sacramento, you would immediately notice that the city has as many freeways as LA but is only 10% as large" is quite untrue. The LA metropolitan area and the Sacto metro areas might as well be on different planets as regards the freeway differences!
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Lundberg02,

If you have ever been in Sacramento…

I’m here right now. I’ve been working in Sacramento and living 20 miles NE of here for the past 26 years. There’s not much you can teach me about Northern California.

You don’t know what you are talking about.

Your arbitrary designations of imaginary geographical zones are going to land you in the looney house one day.
JF
john_findley
Feb 24, 2004
North is like Humboldt, Ft Bragg, , Russian River, etc.

And we know what Humboldt is famous for (not just redwoods). Been doing a lot of shopping up there, Lundberg? πŸ™‚
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 24, 2004
That’s nice, John!
VM
victor_maldonado
Feb 24, 2004
Hello, Lunderberg02 πŸ™‚

Here we go again. Victor, San Francisco is NOT NORTH…

It’s kinda hard for me to tell after eating San Francisco’s P. cyanescens πŸ™‚ every thing is North to me after that πŸ™‚

North is where the heart is πŸ™‚

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
VM
victor_maldonado
Feb 24, 2004
Hola, RamΓ³n πŸ™‚

I’m here right now. I’ve been working in Sacramento and living 20 miles NE of here >for the past 26 years. There’s not much you can teach me about Northern California.

We had a studio at the old rice factory in West Sacramento. We knew the owner and he gave us the keys so we could shoot there. Our other studio was on J street above the old cigar store near the capital building, we had the entire second floor flat.

The summers were a little hard to take without air conditioning.

Hasta mΓ‘s tarde πŸ™‚

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Victor,

The summers were a little hard to take without air conditioning.

πŸ˜€

I’ve been living in Roseville and working in Sacramento since 1976. The horses are stabled in Loomis, adjacent to Folsom Lake and right on the trails surrounding the lake and leading to Tahoe. Even there the summers can get tough.
JF
john_findley
Feb 24, 2004
I lived and worked on 21st st betw E & F: walking distance to most everything. (But as my wife likes to point out, everywhere is walking distance from everywhere else, if you have enough time.)

Remember, Victor, it’s a dry heat. πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Yeah, I remember the stories about the dry heat. As if the Sacramento river, the delta, the American river, Folsom Lake and the surrounding flooded rice fields didn’t exist.
B
Buko
Feb 24, 2004
2 years ago this summer, we (my wife and I) visited some friends in Vacerville (SP?) the week we were there it was 118, good thing it was a "dry heat!" otherwise I would have been too hot.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Vacaville?
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
By the way, the California state penitentiary in Vacaville has a "Gender Identification Unit" where inmates from all over the state can be sent for up to six months to have their gender determined by the experts.

Our tax dollars at work.
B
Buko
Feb 24, 2004
Vacaville?

that’s the one.

California state penitentiary in Vacaville has a "Gender Identification Unit" where inmates can be sent for up to six months to have their gender determined by the experts.

just pull their damn trousers off. save the tax payers some money.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 25, 2004
This is about as far OT now as I have ever seen a topic get.

So, Scott’s Seafood somewhere in the Rancho Cordova or Folsom area is one of the best restaurants I have ever enjoyed.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004
This is about as far OT …

Naw, we’re still talking about Northern California. The thread title began with "San Francisco…".

πŸ˜€
SV
Stevie_V
Feb 25, 2004
Victor, you’re wanted in the lounge!
VM
victor_maldonado
Feb 25, 2004
Hello, RamΓ³n and john πŸ™‚

Remember, Victor, it’s a dry heat.

Come to think of it our Wolf range is dry heat too πŸ™‚

I’ve been living in Roseville and working in Sacramento since 1976. The horses are stabled in Loomis

My best friend is from Loomis, I know it well, a beautiful place. I was the staff photographer for a now defunct project in Loomis, an outside environmentally friendly mall "Turtle Bay."

I lived and worked on 21st st betw E & F

My old house was on 26th and T street, it didn’t have air conditioning.

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
VM
victor_maldonado
Feb 25, 2004
Hello, Lundberg02 πŸ™‚

So, Scott’s Seafood somewhere in the Rancho Cordova or Folsom area is one of the best restaurants I have ever enjoyed.

The one in Folsom always had the best looking hostesses.

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
VM
victor_maldonado
Feb 25, 2004
Hey, Hey Stevie πŸ™‚

What’s up? I was giving my kids haircuts. I’m back.

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 25, 2004
I think I’m going to barf.
B
Buko
Feb 25, 2004
Mmmmm…. hot soup!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections