Posted By
Andy_Nickless
Feb 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Photoshop CS on OS 10.3.2
When I start Photoshop CS or ImageReady, (installed on a new Mac a week ago) a "Welcome" screen appears inviting me to read all about Photoshop and its new features – but if I click on the icons – NOTHING. The only links that appear to work are the online advanced ones (which I don’t want).

When I click on Help – I get a message saying (for example) : "Could not display ImageReady Help. The Help directory could not be found".

Any ideas how I get the help stuff installed correctly – and why it didn’t install automatically?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 23, 2004
Somehow you’ve broken the installation. You probably dragged the Photoshop CS and ImageReady CS icons out of the Adobe Photoshop CS folder. Open the Adobe Photoshop CS folder inside the Applications folder and drag the Photoshop CS and ImageReady CS applications back in where they belong.

Then drag the applications to the Dock, not another place.
AN
Andy_Nickless
Feb 23, 2004
Oops . . . . so THAT’S how you do it!
Thanks Graham – I’m a very recent convert from PC to Mac (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it).
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 24, 2004
Welcome to the Mac! Here are a few file management tips:

If you prefer to create an alias (shortcut in Windows-speak), hold down Command and Option when you drag the item to where you want to create the alias. The Command key is the one with the apple logo and the cloverleaf symbol. The Option key has a picture of a switch and also says alt on it.

When you drag an item to the Dock, you don’t need to create an alias first. The Dock never contains real items, only references to real items.

When you drag a file from one place to another within the same volume (logical disk), by default the drag action moves the item. If you hold down Option you can copy it. When you drag a file from one volume to another the default action is copy, but you can hold down Command to copy and then delete in one go.

On Windows, deleting an item from a removable disk (e.g. Zip disk) actually removes the item without placing it in the recycle bin. On Mac OS each volume, removable or not, contains its own Trash. The trash represents the union of all trashes for currently mounted, local volumes. If you drag a file from, say, a Zip disk to the trash, it will appear in the trash. If you eject the disk, it will be removed from the trash in the Dock but it will still remain on the removed Zip disk. When you reinsert the same Zip disk the file will reappear in the trash. This does not work for network volumes: you will get a warning when dragging a remote file to the trash that you are about to delete the file.

Some menu items in various applications are modified when you hold down Option. For example, in the Finder, click and hold down on the File menu and then alternately press and release the Option key to toggle between the command variants.
AN
Andy_Nickless
Feb 24, 2004
Thanks again Graham –
I’m gradually getting to grips with things here – but its a steep learning curve!
H
halscheyer
Feb 25, 2004
I bought a new G4 in Oct 2003 and have found that the file/folder system has been the hardest thing to get used to and is the feature that is most different from WinXP. Because I was not careful, last Friday I put my user folder inside the original user folder on my external hard drive (used as a backup), so now I have two user folders on the backup drive, a new one and one not quite so new and the new one inside the old one. I will correct this on my next backup. Just part of the learning process. Each software program has its pecularities. A computer is just a dumb machine and only knows what you or I tell it and has a very concrete logic system. I tell my students "The machine will not make any adjustments, YOU have to make all adjustments."
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 25, 2004
That reminds me of another difference you should be aware of. If you copy a folder to a location which already contains a folder of the same name, Windows retains files in the destination which do not exist in the source. Mac OS, on the other hand, replaces the entire folder. You will be asked to confirm this, but be careful nonetheless.
H
halscheyer
Feb 25, 2004
Thank you for the hint, Graham! In my backup I really want the entire folder to be replaced, but I can see that it could cause some difficulties if I am just moving things around. I have several hundred pix in my user folder and I can see that it is possible to lose some if I try to re-catalog or move them around.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections