TL
Posted By
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to compare with other’s calibrated and profiled displays of how the colors should look in the AdobeRGB tagged PDI color target showing the Gretag chart and the babies on the bottom row.

Is the red in the Gretag chart suppose to glow and look over saturated or natural looking?

Is the baby on the bottom right corner suppose to look pinkish/maroonish or orangish/brownish tan?

I know I need to purchase an expensive puck to achieve ultimate accuracy, but I’ve been getting close enough results with AppleCal and SuperCal relying on color targets I can make look RIGHT if I know what they’re suppose to look like.

I can achieve a myriad of variances in the color areas mentioned by choosing different phosphor/WP combos. I’ve found one that happens to make these areas look more natural but I don’t know if that’s what it’s suppose to look like.

This would really help me out. Thanks for contributing.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PF
Peter_Figen
Feb 27, 2004
Tim,

The red patch should look like a bright red but not neon. I’d say the bottom right baby is more on the tannish side and the Kodak Gray wedge is a bit on the warm side with the bottom several patches losing separation. The neutral patches on the ColorChecker are very neutral, as can be measured in the Info Palette.

I added gray wedges on both sides of the pdi target with closer spacing between 0 and 10 and 245 and 255. Being able to see on screen the difference between 0 and 1 or 0 and 2 in the shadows and between 253 or 254 and 255 in the highlights are some critical areas to look for.

Maybe have someone who has printed that target on a very well profiled printer send you a print to view next to your monitor would be the best bet. Contact me off list.

For the ultimate in accuracy, you’ll want to look into a Sony Artisan on the low end or a Barco on the high end.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks Peter,

You’ve helped me out tremendously. The Colorchecker grays look very neutral, but the blacks are very plugged up on the Kodak grayramp. I get RGB 333 starting at the 4th patch from the right. The Kodak gray shows a red bias as the numbers indicate.

I came across an iiyama based XYZ/WP set (very close to Colormatch) in SuperCal that makes everything look natural and very close to CMYK readouts with my monitor calibrated to D55/1.8gamma. It retains proper AdobeRGB saturation in all hardware WP’s. Even Andrew Rodney’s color target looks correct as well.

The AppleCal profile gives very pinkish fleshtones and oversaturated reds no matter what I set my WP at in the calibrator.

I sent my monitor’s factory XYZ/WP as read from the EDID in AppleCal to Brock Brandenburg of SuperCal and he included it as a selection in his calibrator, but it gives way to much yellow in the fleshtones and the red patch.

Funny, two separate calibrators give different results from the same numbers.

Thanks for the input, Peter. I think I can get a little more mileage out of this 6 year old monitor, now.
PF
Peter_Figen
Feb 27, 2004
"Funny, two separate calibrators give different results from the same numbers."

Not really funny, but not surprising considering the low price of many of the newer units on the market.

"Thanks for the input, Peter. I think I can get a little more mileage out of this 6 year old monitor, now."

Ouch. Six years is a lot unless it’s a 17incher and hasn’t seen that many hours. I have a circa 1996 PressView17 that still hits well over 100 cd/m2, but it’s not on that much anymore.You’ll really know when you can’t get good blacks or a bright enough white point.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 27, 2004
The contrast is really high on my Princeton EO90 so I have to reduce it even when set to D55 with the monitor buttons not SW. I have low lighting and can get really accurate looking page white with GE Sunlight D50-90CRI flourescent tubes from Walmart. It’s an inexpensive compromise–far from perfect.

I have a problem with the black point setting in combination with the eyeball calibraters. The gamma curves slopes too abruptly at the13 level where it almost blends with 0 level RGB. If I could tweak that curve at the shadow end I could pull more levels. But to get more levels, I have to set the gamma at 1.4–too bright for my eyes.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections