How do I apply a color on one image to another?

DD
Posted By
darkwing_duck
Feb 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We’re going to paint a room and want to see how different colors would/could look in that room.

I have a photo of my daughter’s room.
I have several other photos of other rooms.

Is there a way to set the foreground color of the picture in my daughter’s room to the color in another picture and then use the Paint Bucket to "paint" the wall in my daughter’s picture? I was thinking that if I knew the color in the other room, I could change the foreground color on my daughter’s picture to what the other one was (R = 227, G = 195, B = 86; or whatever) and then simply Paint Bucket the changes.

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AB
Andrew Bealing
Feb 25, 2006
You can fairly easily replace one plain colour with another but I don’t think its too easy to retain the same textures, lighting etc. but it may give you some idea of what the new paint would look like. It is a useful exercise in using the selection tools if nothing else!

Select the images you are working on, that is, of your daughters’ room and the others and open them in the editor (CTRL-I)

Select the plain colour you wish to replace in the destination image (daughter’s room). Use the Magic wand tool adjusting the tolerance setting, try 25, and try it with and without the contiguous selection checked to pick up other areas of the same colour automatically or manually if easier. Check the controls in the select menu too, such as expand, similar and experiment with them. Note that the tool bar has settings for the selection to be one of New, Add, Subtract, Intersection so start with New, then Add if need be to include other areas if the same colour. Don’t forget you can use other selection tools such as the lasso in the same way to finalise the selection.

I suggest that you save the selection into a new layer, (CTRL-J) but you can also save it from the select menu.

With the selection area still active with its marching ants, select the paint bucket tool and then switch to one of the source images for the colour you wish to try and click on the foreground swatch to produce the eye dropper tool and click it on the colour you want and then OK. Return the destination image and click within the selection to fill in the colour.

I hope this works.

Andrew

wrote in message
We’re going to paint a room and want to see how different colors would/could look in that room.

Is there a way to set the foreground color of the picture in my daughter’s room to the color in another picture and then use the Paint Bucket to "paint" the wall in my daughter’s picture? I was thinking that if I knew the color in the other room, I could change the foreground color on my daughter’s picture to what the other one was (R = 227, G = 195, B = 86; or whatever) and then simply Paint Bucket the changes.

Thanks.
AB
Andrew Bealing
Mar 8, 2006
Further to my earlier reply I have since discovered that when you use the Paint Bucket tool to replace the colour, if you change the blend mode in the tool bar at the top of the screen, to color, (near the bottom of the drop down list) this retains the texture of the underlying area giving a much more realistic impression for what you want to see with the new paint colour.

I hope this helps

Andrew

wrote in message

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections