TI
Posted By
tor_imsland
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought and installed the new Creative Studio. unfortunately, unlike previous installs, I find the actions I had in Photoshop 7 didn’t convert, and as CS (apparently) uses a different format, I can’t import them. does anyone know how to get my old actions into the new CS?

thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SJ
Stevie_J_V
Mar 2, 2004
You have to open photoshop 7 and save the action sets individually, then simply got to "load actions" in the actions flyout menu in PS CS and install them.
TI
tor_imsland
Mar 2, 2004
Was hoping that wasn’t the case – I’ve collected a lot of actions over the years. Too bad Adobe didn’t include some sort of integrated converter…

thanks for the reply, Stevie!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 2, 2004
You should always save your actions (and other custom presets) in any event. If you don’t you risk losing them.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Mar 2, 2004
That’s interesting. Not that there isn’t one, but I’ve not heard of an actions incompatibility between PS7 and CS.

Did you try copying your Actions Palette.psp file from PS7 to PS CS?

Reason I ask: PS saves the contents of your actions palette in this file each time you close it. In theory you should be able to replace the default (empty) Actions Palette.psp installed with CS with a copy of the one from PS7, bring up CS and away you go.

I’d be interested to hear how this goes.

~Danny~
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 3, 2004
I think you are far better off saving atn files than relying on a settings file to save/transfer actions. Probably easier too.
TI
tor_imsland
Mar 3, 2004
Danny, that actually did work – and I’m a bit embarrassed that I didn’t figure it out before! The reason it hadn’t worked is there was not a .psp extension on the version 7 file. I added the extension, replaced the file installed by PS CS with my now renamed file and re-launched – now I have my actions!

Ed, you make a good point. Replacing the new file with the old is faster… easier… but will lead to the Dark Side 🙂 I’ve taken your suggestion as well, saved out my actions and backed them up.

thank you all for the help!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections