GN
Posted By
Gary_Newman
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My question seems like something so obvious it should be either in the FAQ or the Feature Requests forum, but doesn’t seem to be in either.

I have an image open in PS. It has 6 layers. Is there a way to apply an adjustment layer that affects just layers 4, 5 and 6, but not those below them? In other words, can an adjustment be applied to more than one layer simultaneously (without saving the adjustment and reapplying it individually to other layers)?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

H
Hexebah
Mar 5, 2004
Select Layer 4 then holding down the Option key, click between layer 4 and layer 5 to group them. Do the same again between 5 and 6 and finally between layer 6 and your Adjustment layer. This will group/clip them to your first selected (#4) layer. Any layers before layer 4 should not be affected by the newly grouped Adjustment Layer.
JS
John_Slate
Mar 5, 2004
If 4, 5 and 6 are at the bottom you don’t even need to group them.

In a normal stack of layers (without layer sets), an adjustment layer will affect ALL layers below it.

So just put the adjustment layer above layer 4, but under layer 3.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 5, 2004
Another way is to put the layers you want affected into a layer set including the Adjustment Layer at top. Change the sets’s Blending Mode from Pass Through to Normal. Layers below the set won’t be affected.
GN
Gary_Newman
Mar 5, 2004
Thank you, fellows.

I could not get Hex’s to work. Grouping Layer 4 to Layer 5 caused 4 to be masked by 5, effectively hiding it.

John, my question involved getting the adjustment layer to affect only some of the layers below it.

Ed’s solution works – and thanks. But I wonder what I’m doing wrong in Hex’s.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 5, 2004
I believe Hex’s technique will be problematic wherever objects on Layers 4, 5, or 6 overlap. As you say, Layer 4 will clip those layers above it in the group. Ed’s way is certainly the "modern" (post-PS6) way to do this.

But for the life of me, I can’t remember how we used to do this pre-PS7. Did we just group an identical adjustment layer to each image layer we wanted to alter? That just doesn’t sound right. Didn’t we have a more efficient way back then, before layer sets?
H
Hexebah
Mar 5, 2004
Doug is right. The tip I suggest will cause the grouped layers to be clipped to the shape of the first (No.4). layer in the group. Ed has it nailed down.

chip
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
Before 7, we just let the adjustment layer float freely (ungrouped) above several layers if we wanted it to affect everything beneath it.
Then one could make only the chosen layers visible; make a new empty layer above them; select it; and Option Merge to put all visible layers into the one adjusted merged layer.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 5, 2004
The Layer Set method I described applies to 6. which I am still using, I am chagrined to say. Before that it was individual AL per layer or Layer Masks on the AL. Actually I still do both depending.

OS X comuing to my workplace in a matter of weeks.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 6, 2004
Wow. I sure don’t remember sets going back to 6!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections