If I buy a copy of Photoshop 7, will I get a free Photoshop CS upgrade?

ND
Posted By
Nguyen_Do
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If it’s second-hand, then no upgrade?

But, if it’s unopened, then do I qualify for a free upgrade?

Thanks!

Nguyen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PH
Paul_Hokanson
Mar 5, 2004
My guess is no. The free upgrades generally require you to send the invoice from the purchase… not sure if a second hand buyer would qualify. The deal breaker, though, is that CS has been shipping for many months and the free upgrade offers usually apply to software purchased after a new release is announced, but before that release ships.

Call Adobe to make sure…
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 5, 2004
Nguyen,

There is generally a short window where a previous version purchase entitles you to a free upgrade. Whether the package is opened or not isn’t an issue — it’s the date of the purchase that Adobe looks for.

As for a legal secondhand purchase, I doubt you’re entitled to a free upgrade unless the original purchase were within that short window and you have all legitimate transfer of license paperwork plus a bill of sale. Check with Adobe for sure. With your secondhand purchase, you should also have any printed manuals that may have been part of the original software package, but that’s part of the negotiation between you and the seller.

But, that said — if you purchased PS 7 secondhand, you MUST have a legal transfer of license from the seller (the form is available from www.adobe.com) or you cannot register the software in your name, or legally purchase discounted upgrades or be entitled to any free tech support.

Unscrupulous sellers try to sell off an earlier software version when they purchase an upgrade. But all versions of software associated with a specific serial number (or its updated serial number) must remain together with the original purchaser unless ALL versions are legally handed over to you, and the seller deletes all installed copies and destroys any backups associated with that serial number.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections