MG
Posted By
Max Goodwin
Aug 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I size a photo in elements and mutiply the height size by the width, and then store the photo in a folder, the stored size in the folder is always much smaller than the size in Elements. What am I doing wrong? (jpg image or any other!)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac McDougald
Aug 9, 2003
Elements/PhotoShop reports the full uncompressed size of the image (as if it were a TIFF file). If you save as JPEG, the size of the file on disk will be much smaller. JPEG images have to uncompress to be viewed.

that what you’re actually asking?

Mac
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 9, 2003
Max, here’s the approach I use, with generally good results.

1. Go to File>Save for Web. You’ll get a split screen view of the image before and after the save.
2. In the lower right hand corner of the Save for Web dialog box, you’ll see a place to put in a new size in pixels. If your image came out of a standard format digital camera, you should be able to put 800 pixels in place of the larger number (width or height) and have 600 pixels or thereabouts show up where the smaller number was. After setting these dimensions, hit the Apply Button. (This step gives you a size that’s easily viewed by most monitors with minimal scrolling.)
3. Now look below the right hand copy of the image (which is the after adjustment depiction). It should say JPEG and give you a size in K (plus a time for someone with a 56kbaud modem to download). If that number is more than you want (you mentioned 170 kb), go up to the right hand corner of the dialog and click on the Quality arrow. You’ll get a slider; as you move it to the left and release the mouse button, you’ll see the size number under the After photo get smaller after it generates optimized. Experiment – either up or down – with the slider until you get the size you want, then hit OK and give it a name and location.

I think you’ll be happy with the screen image you get in this way.

Chuck
MM
Mac McDougald
Aug 10, 2003
I believe you surely must mean KB rather than MB in this thread, no?

Mac
MG
Max Goodwin
Aug 10, 2003
Thanks Mac McDougald – you are of course right. I did mean KB.

And thanks Chuck Snyder. I’ll try that solution. It sounds fine and I really appreciate it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections