F
Posted By
fleemo17
Nov 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Going back at least as far as CS2, I’ve found that when I create guides in Photoshop and activate "Snap To Guides," selections made with the rectangular marquee tool don’t actually snap to the guides. In fact, they’re usually at least one pixel off, requiring me to do some meticulous refining of my selection. Is there a preference or some way to make Photoshop actually snap to the guides I’ve established?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed Hanni8gan
Nov 9, 2007
wrote:
Going back at least as far as CS2, I’ve found that when I create guides in Photoshop and activate "Snap To Guides," selections made with the rectangular marquee tool don’t actually snap to the guides. In fact, they’re usually at least one pixel off, requiring me to do some meticulous refining of my selection. Is there a preference or some way to make Photoshop actually snap to the guides I’ve established?
You have to be aware that Guides can be anywhere, but marquees must conform to pixel dimensions. There can’t be any fractions of a pixel. Most likely your guides are not precisely "on" the pixel grid.
F
fleemo17
Nov 9, 2007
You have to be aware that Guides can be anywhere, but marquees
must
conform to pixel dimensions. There can’t be any fractions of a pixel. Most likely your guides are not precisely "on" the pixel grid.

Thanks for the reply, Ed.

Yeah, I’m aware that guides can fall anywhere on the page (which actually seems pretty pointless to me in a pixel-based scheme). However, even whem I’m extremely careful placing my guides right on the pixel edge, I still don’t get accurate snap-tos. I’ve illustrated what I’m talking about at http://www4.scoe.net/rfox/guides. In this extreme zoom in, you can see the blue guide line falling right along the edge of the red pixels. However, the dashed line of the marquis does not fall along the horizontal guide, despite it falling along the pixel grid. This is a consistent problem for me. Any insight?
EH
Ed Hanni8gan
Nov 10, 2007
wrote:
You have to be aware that Guides can be anywhere, but marquees
must
conform to pixel dimensions. There can’t be any fractions of a pixel. Most likely your guides are not precisely "on" the pixel grid.

Thanks for the reply, Ed.

Yeah, I’m aware that guides can fall anywhere on the page (which actually seems pretty pointless to me in a pixel-based scheme). However, even whem I’m extremely careful placing my guides right on the pixel edge, I still don’t get accurate snap-tos. I’ve illustrated what I’m talking about at http://www4.scoe.net/rfox/guides. In this extreme zoom in, you can see the blue guide line falling right along the edge of the red pixels. However, the dashed line of the marquis does not fall along the horizontal guide, despite it falling along the pixel grid. This is a consistent problem for me. Any insight?

Is there a feather on the selection?
F
fleemo17
Nov 10, 2007

No, there’s not. The selection was simply made by dragging the marquis tool to form a rectangle. Snapped to the vertical guide fine, but not to the horizontal, and this happens all the time for me in Photoshop. A real pain in the rear when doing exacting work. 🙁
K
KatWoman
Nov 11, 2007
wrote in message

No, there’s not. The selection was simply made by dragging the marquis tool to form a rectangle. Snapped to the vertical guide fine, but not to the horizontal, and this happens all the time for me in Photoshop. A real pain in the rear when doing exacting work. 🙁

what if you change the ruler to pixels? and not inches or meters?

snap to all?

sorry never do this type work

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections