Posted By
Jurgen Mayer
Aug 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good day,

I am scanning multiple slides with a HP 5500c. And after reading a while in this great forum I decided to scan three slides at once and then crop them in PE. Goes faster than scanning each single one, but you have to enhance the pics afterwards.

My question is now whether anybody knows about an automatic crop tool with the purpose the cut of the black background around the slides. Right now I am doing this with the marquee tool and then crop. An automatic crop tool would be a big time saver.

Thanks,

Jürgen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
JuergenDirrigl
Aug 17, 2003
Jürgen,

It is certainly nice to see another Jürgen around here! 😀 I’m not sure if I have the right answer, and maybe somebody else can chime in, but I’m thinking of a mask which you can create from one set of three, drag it onto each subsequent set…
Just a thought.

Juergen
JM
Jurgen Mayer
Aug 18, 2003
Juergen,

Thanks. Well, I gave up the correct spelling of my name (Jürgen, Juergen). Pending on the keyboard I am working on it might transfer to Jurgen.

I played around a bit and the magic wand tool might work too, but it doesn’t always give a rectangular field, which I need for saving the pictures.

Jürgen
P.S. I am in Arizona.
J
JuergenDirrigl
Aug 18, 2003
Jürgen,

On second thought, the masking probably wouldn’t do you any good. My next approach would be to set the rectangular marquee tool to fixed size with no feathering. Then click on a slide, position the selection and copy or cut via layer. Repeat this for every slide. Then discard the background layer. Now you have each slide image on a separate layer. You can than go back and drag the image which you want to edit onto a new canvas and work on it there.
Be sure to save the file containing the tree layers as a PSD file.

BTW: I am in North Carolina.

Juergen
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 18, 2003
Juergen, I have a good friend Juergen (Wulf), who lives in Hamburg and works in Angola. I hope to visit him one of these days…in Hamburg!

🙂
J
JuergenDirrigl
Aug 18, 2003
Chuck,

You’ll enjoy the visit. Hamburg is a great city. I was born there. Just don’t go in the winter :)…

Juergen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections