"Image is bigger than the printable area" in Photoshop CS with Epson R800 Printer

JH
Posted By
Jake_Hannam
Feb 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Nicole,

I also have the R800 so I tried a 4×6 borderless with the free paper they include in the box. I got the same error message even with Print with Preview and Scale to Media. I also got a warning about possible image degradation and smearing at the top and bottom. Just the same, though, I got a good print with no obvious degradation or smearing although my print was slightly larger than shown on screen. I could tell because the print cut off a button and part of a name tag. Weird.

I don’t understand it. Maybe its a bug in the Epson driver or in Photoshop? If I had to guess, I would say the enlargement might be intentional to accommodate a print that is going right to the edges of the paper (most printers do not like that) perhaps to avoid the possibility of white edges. That’s purely a guess …

Anyone else have any ideas out there?

Jake

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Feb 15, 2005
When printing borderless 4×6 prints, the Epson driver (mine is the 2200) seems to scale them up slightly so that there’s a bleed beyond the paper edge, ensuring no white edges due to a slight paper misalignment. I typically reduce the scale slightly — to, say, 96% or so, and find that the images still fill the 4×6 paper with no borders. I have not experienced any degradation near the edges.

Just ignore the popup messages.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Feb 15, 2005
Good answer, Michael. That makes perfect sense. 🙂

Jake
NB
Nicole_Brady
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks everyone. I’ll try reducing it to 96% and see if that works. I also sent a message to Epson. If I find anything out I’ll post again.
NB
Nicole_Brady
Feb 15, 2005
I just got a response from Epson – here is what they told me:

"About 5% will be lost around the edges when printing borderless. To see the entire image please print with borders."

So, it looks like Michael’s suggestion is the solution. – thanks
JH
Jake_Hannam
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks, Nicole.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Feb 15, 2005
I don’t print borderless with my Epson 2200, but I have seen a "print borderless" check box in either/both (?) the page set up/print settings of the driver software. I have no idea if it makes a difference or not, but as that hasn’t been mentioned…

Bill
NB
Nicole_Brady
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Bill, I have checked the print borderless option and that results in the clipping of the image. I noticed this when I printed close ups of my daughter and the top of her head was cut off.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Feb 15, 2005
Your welcome. Go with Jake’s suggestion and I’m making a note NOT to try reading questions until the last of the migraine headache has fully left. I didn’t see where you had done that in your original posting.

Bill, going off for two more OTC pills.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections