JC
Posted By
Jane Carter
Sep 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using PSE since February, and now have been reading about these Wacom Graphire 2 tablets.
It sure seems that it would be easier to be using a pen rather than a mouse in a lot of PSE situations.
I have asked my instructor, and hopefully between her advice and you wonderful peoples advice, I will find out if I would benefit by purchasing one. I still am very much a beginner, but really want to keep using PSE forever. I love this program. Just need more time,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks, Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
Sep 1, 2003
Jane,

You are correct — the action of holding and drawing with a pen is far more intuitive than with a mouse. At least, in my opinion. I have far better control.

You will find those who are perfectly happy with a mouse, as well… for me, I’m happy to have both.

Byron
P
Phosphor
Sep 1, 2003
Jane,

I just purchased a Graphire 2 tablet a couple of weeks ago. I had been wanting one for a while and finally made the plunge.

I was a little concerned about the 4×5 size of the active area being a little small. But, now that I have it, I find that 4×5 feels about right for me and I think a larger pad would be too large for my preferences.

I’m still adjusting the pen pressure sensitivity. As it came out of the box, it took a little heavier pressure than I care for but it has a sensitivity control and I’ve just about got it adjusted to my tastes. A little more tweaking and it should be fine.

I’m still learning to use it so I haven’t switched completely but I have noticed that I do have finer control. Your fingers have much finer control over motions than your wrist does. The one thing I haven’t got the hang of yet is the pressure dynamics — the size of your pressure dynamics aware tools change as you press harder or lighter. But, that’s just a matter of practice.

The tablet happily coexists with my existing mouse so I keep both plugged in and switch between them — just keep the pen off the tablet when using the mouse. I don’t care all that much for the mouse that came with the tablet, I like my old one better.

I couldn’t find a store where I could try one out before I got it but I think it’s going to work out fine.

Bob
JC
Jane Carter
Sep 2, 2003
Hi Byron and Robert, I do think that I will definatly get one! Like you say, I sure would love to try one before purchase, but when you here say you like them, that’s a go-ahead for me.
Thank you!
Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections