CC
Posted By
cs cs
Sep 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
can’t seem to save my image as gif nor png. i’m in indexed mode. why is there no gif or png option in the filetype dropdown? i can’t find help for this.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 3, 2003
cs, change the mode of your image from index to RGB…..toolbar>image>mode and then you should be fine.
CC
cs cs
Sep 3, 2003
thanks jodi, but that doesn’t help.

think indexed mode is the mode i should be in (for gif’s anyways). i’ve tried either and it makes no difference. also, ‘save for web’ is always grayed, no matter what mode i’m in. really bizarre. i just bought PE yesterday, kind of bummed that i can’t do the most rudimentary task. 🙁
CC
cs cs
Sep 3, 2003
i’ve flattened the image as well, still no go.
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 3, 2003
Gif is available for index mode images. Look for Compuserve Gif. You can also use Save for Web to save directly as Gif or PNG without switching modes first.

Rich

P.S. Jodi’s method will work too. Just offering alternatives. :o)
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 3, 2003
cs, did you delete prefs yet ??

just after clicking Elements icon to open program hold down shift+alt+ctrl and click ‘yes’ to delete prefs. It’s a quickie process.
CC
cs cs
Sep 3, 2003
i’ve flattened the image as well, still no go.
CC
cs cs
Sep 4, 2003
holding shift+alt+ctrl doesn’t do anything for me, jodi. i don’t know how to delete prefs.

richard, as my posts say, the ‘save for web’ option is grayed out. and i stated as well that i _am_ in index mode. there is no gif/png in the dropdown list.
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 4, 2003
CS,

Hold down Control+alt+Shift immediately after launching the app, but before the splash screen comes up.

Did you try switching to RGB mode?

Did you check for Compuserve Gif in the list, it should be there?

Rich
CC
cs cs
Sep 4, 2003
thanks richard, but that didn’t help.

managed to clear the prefs, but that still didn’t change anything. both rgb / index mode don’t show gif / compuserve gif NOR png. also, save for web is grayed out still.

what else can i do?
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 4, 2003
CS,

Could be something wierd about the image in question. Try going to File>New and creating a new image. Go to Save as… and see if gif and png are there, check if Save for Web becomes active. If that works it is the image and we can figure out a way to either fix the image or get the content into a new file.

If that doesn’t work sounds to me like you may need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the app. Make sure you clean out any left over folders after the uninstall and that no virus software or norton apps are running during the new install.

Rich
CC
cs cs
Sep 4, 2003
thanks richard, but i’ve already tried that (file>new>save as), made no difference.

this is a fresh PSE installation. but i guess i have no choice. i’ll try that…

ugh… that made no difference either.

🙁
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 4, 2003
cs, with the file open, create another ‘new’ canvas of the same size and resolution. Put them side by side and use the move tool, hold down shift key and drag it to the canvas. Try the save as options and see what you get. Just curious
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 4, 2003
cs,

How about trying the fresh install in Safe Mode? Are you installing from CD? You can also try copying the install folder from your hard drive to desktop. I’m beginning to run out of ideas here, you may need to use your tech support call.

Rich
CC
cs cs
Sep 4, 2003
mm, finally sussed it out, deselecting a certain option during installation kept the PNG/GIF options from showing. all fine now.

thanks everyone for your help
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 5, 2003
cs,

Could you tell us which option that was? Did you do a custom install and not install certain components? Might help someone else.

Rich
CC
cs cs
Sep 5, 2003
yes, i did a custom install, hence why it wasn’t installing. i’m guessing it was the ‘photoshop elements only plugins’ or something akin to that. it’s the second option, or just below the main photoshop elements checkbox. it’s about 16mb or so.

thank you again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections