How to make the background layer less Opaque?

KH
Posted By
kelli hayden
Sep 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to make a picture very light so that I can print it out and have it be a faint image on the page.

I have read that I should lesson the opaque value in the layers menu. I tried but the image is designated as the ‘background’ and I can’t get it to open up the opaque bar for me. I then made a duplicate of the picture and I was indeed able to adjust the opaque levels but the image didn’t appear to be any lighter in the thumbnail.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Layers and I still have not become friends so I’ll need instructions on a very remedial level!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy S
Sep 8, 2003
Kelli,

If you made a duplicate, click on the eye of the lowest layer (the background) in the Layers Palette to make it invisible onscreen. Now click on the dupe layer and slide the opacity down to desired amount. With the original layer still visible, it would have appeared exactly the same.

Here are a couple of sites to help with your understanding of layers.

< http://www.cclub.metu.edu.tr/e-kitap/cokluortam_araclari/Tea ch%20Yourself%20Photoshop%20in%2014%20Days/ch08.htm>

< http://www.elated.com/tutorials/graphics/photoshop/intro_lay ers/>

Nancy
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 8, 2003
Hi Kelli, when you first bring an image into Elements it is indeed called a ‘ background ‘ layer. The first thing you need to do is double click on the image in the layers palette. A pop up menu will appear asking you if you want to rename the layer ( default is layer 0 ) just ck=lick OK to that ( unless you really need to name it something else then do so ). Now you have what is called an ‘editable’ layer ( excuse my spelling..it’s a layer you can ‘edit’ )…now go ahead and reduce the opacity…it’s the option on the layers palette top right. When you print it it will be much lighter againts the white paper. An easy way to know exactly what you are going to get : create a ‘new layer’ ( little square pages icon at the bottom of layers palette ) with your cursor drag that new layer to the bottom of the palette and fill it with white>edit fill. Now when you lower the opacity of your image it will give you a better than good clue as to what will print.

EDIT: hi Nancy…you weren’t there a minute ago…THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THAT !!!!!!
KH
kelli hayden
Sep 8, 2003
Thank you both for the suggestions. I was able to print off a light image!!! hip-hip-horray!!!

Jodi, I was able to follow your instructions beautifully until I got to the part about "fill it with white>edit fill" Would you mind explaining that again for me? Is there a button that I should click that is named "white edit fill?"

Kelli
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 8, 2003
Kelli, I’m not Jodi (she is attractive and artistic; alas, I am neither…), but what you’re looking for can be found under the Edit category on the toolbar. It’s Edit>Fill and it gives you several options of what to "Use" for fill; one of them is white. That should do it!

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 9, 2003
lol

Thank You Chuck for your response to Kelli. Oh, you are indeed attractive and artistic. The images you send me prove that.

🙂
KH
kelli hayden
Sep 9, 2003
It’s just a regular ‘ole love fest!! Thanks for the suggestion Chuck, I’ll go try it out right away.

Kelli

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections