DP
Posted By
David_Patrick_Smith
Apr 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This may be a really simple question, but in all my years of using Photoshop I have never had to import paths from Illustrator (As a Photoshop Path, not a rasterized paste). Well now I do for a very detailed image I have the paths already created in Illustrator CS. So how can get this vector path into Photoshop CS as a path?

-David

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Apr 23, 2005
In the Prefrences in Illustrator, under File Handling and Clipboard, make sure Copy as AICB is selected. Now, copy the path to the clipboard.

In Photoshop, Edit > Paste. You will get a small dialog asking Paste as pixels, path, or shape layer. Choose path.
DP
David_Patrick_Smith
Apr 23, 2005
That totally did it! Thanks! I knew I had seen that paste dialog box with previous versions of Photoshop. I guess I just always had AICB selected before. Is there any drawback to having AICB selected when copying and pasting to InDesign and other apps?
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Apr 24, 2005
I use the copy/paste paths into Photoshop function a lot. However, I wish Photoshop had some way to import vector paths through a File>Open dialog -particularly in regard to paths created in non-Postscript drawing programs (such as CorelDRAW, Canvas, etc.) or even a CAD program.

It’s kind of a pain to take vector art generated first in Corel or Canvas and then have to open it is either Illustrator or Freehand before it can be pasted into Photoshop’s paths palette.
RH
Ryan_Holler
Apr 25, 2005
That didn’t work for me at all. I’m at a loss. I can paste from one Illustrator document to another, but when I go to Photoshop there still appears to be nothing on my clipboard.
B
BobLevine
Apr 25, 2005
First of all, CorelDRAW can create very good postscript. The problem however is that it doesn’t have AICB clipboard capability. Without that there’s simply no way for Photoshop to know what to do with the CorelDRAW data.

Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 25, 2005
Ryan – you have to enable AICB on the clipboard in Illustrator, that’s all there is to it.
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Apr 26, 2005
In older versions of Illustrator, the AICB function was turned on by default. I guess Adobe took a page from the Freehand handbook and made things a little tougher. In Freehand users would have to go into the preferences dialog and find the little checkbox to enable Postscript Paths on the clipboard.

I agree CorelDRAW can generate good EPS in export file formats. But it is kind of a pain to have to use Illustrator as an intermediate step –especially if you have artwork that is larger than the roughly 10′ X 10′ pasteboard in Illustrator. Corel has a pasteboard nearly ten times larger. I’d like to be able to open an EPS file in Photoshop and have the option of opening the file with the paths resident in the paths palette. I could bypass Illustrator’s artboard size limits. It just seems really counterproductive to confine path imports to Photoshop only to the clipboard.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections