Z
Posted By
zoozx27
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The one where you have an image with several adjustment layers and you merge some layers or flatten the image and the density and saturation changes.
If you view it in actual pixels it does not change.
Bad bug, Bad bad bug.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 6, 2004
Its not a bug, its a limitation of your display.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Apr 6, 2004
zoo, all crucial editing should be done at 100 percent pixels… anything less and you’ve got antialiasing and other display issues clouding the real view of things. It’s always been this way in Photoshop.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 6, 2004
A good example of this – create a new document, fill with noise with a setting of 400%.

View at 25% – and do a curves or levels adjustment. The image changes right?

Wrong!

View at 100% and you get the accurate preview.
Z
zoozx27
Apr 6, 2004
Crucial editing can not always be done at 100 %!
Try working on a 3 gig image and using actual pixels view. Duhhhhh
I know it’s always been this way, that is the problem.
Actual pixels is the only acuate view, we all know that and that is the problem!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 6, 2004
How would you suggest that you can fit all of the pixels in a 3GB image onto your 72 ppi monitor, so that they are all visible at once, without interpolation?
[That’s what you are seeing when you look at an image at other than 100%.]

Although you could always ask Sony to build you a Custom truck-sized monitor……
J
JasonSmith
Apr 6, 2004
"I know it’s always been this way, that is the problem."

So it isnt a BUG then, is it?

The software engineers know about this, and so do you. This behavior was fully expected on all counts.
R
Ram
Apr 6, 2004
I agree with Rene, Paul, Jason and Ann.

Some people just come awfully close to crying wolf once too many.
L
Larryr544
Apr 6, 2004
You could open a second window of the same image. With one set at 100% or more and the other showing the entire image.
Z
zoozx27
Apr 12, 2004
Crying wolf, get real & save that type of worthless comments to yourself! It may not be a bug, but it is a sever limitation to working with digital images in photoshop. Like I stated, you can’t work on large images in actual pixels, no way no how.
Flattening large images every-time is to time consuming and also not an option. An alternative viewing option that shows what you really are getting may be the ticket. How hard could that be if it shows you the correct view when flattened? AKA view flattened mode.
Just because it’s always been a problem doesn’t mean it should be accepted.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
"Like I stated, you can’t work on large images in actual pixels, no way no how."

So you would rather have a slow-assed redraw (I mean really slow) so you can accuratley view at smaller percentages?

"Just because it’s always been a problem doesn’t mean it should be accepted."

The fix for this problem would introduce other problems.
Z
zoozx27
Apr 12, 2004
Absolutely I would prefer the option to use it, Absolutely!

Right now my only option to get an accurate view of my image is to flatten which takes a long time even on a dual G5!.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
"Right now my only option to get an accurate view of my image is to flatten which takes a long time even on a dual G5!."

Dude – that’s exactly what PShop would have to do to get an accurate preview…the file itself wouldnt be flattned, but it will still have to render a flattened composite for a preview which could take ages with a big file.
Z
zoozx27
Apr 12, 2004
Not if it was a low rez version as when appling filters,…Dude.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
"Not if it was a low rez version as when appling filters"

&*#^&*&*!!!

are you totally missing the point here!?

There’s no way to have a low-res version and expect it to be accurate!

That’s why it is the way that it is.

It’s a balance of either quick/inaccurate, or slow/accurate.

Dood.
B
Buko
Apr 12, 2004
Not if it was a low rez version as when appling filters,…Dude.

are you practicing your comedy routine on us??
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 12, 2004
zoozx – you already HAVE a low resolution preview, that is what’s causing the "problem" you’re complaining about!
Z
zoozx27
Apr 13, 2004
Let me be clearer.

I want a solution to the problem!
What ever it is. I don’t know how to do it, or if it is possible. I would think something better than the current limitations is doable.
People working in large size images, Which i seem to be in the extreme minority 1-4 gigs need an accurate view without having to view in actual pixels or flatten the image. That is not practical work flow. Actual pixels gives me a view of a box of pixels that is pretty much useless on a large image.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 13, 2004
zoozx – there is no solution other than viewing at 100%. Anything less than 100% must be a reduced resolution preview, and cannot be completely accurate (because pixel values have been averaged or subsampled to get that preview).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 13, 2004
This problem can only be solved by an investment in hardware.

In other words, follow the suggestion that I made a while ago and commission Sony or Apple to build you a bus-sized monitor ; then you CAN edit all of those giga-files at 100%.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Apr 13, 2004
Ann,

With the price of fuel these days, keeping a bus-sized monitor truckin along will be rough on the designer’s pocketbook (unless we can write off mileage).

And don’t get me started on the iron-fisted EPA regulations certain for such a screen! Although, I will finally have a valid excuse to add some bling bling to my monitor hood.
P
progress
Apr 13, 2004
lmao…fuel price complaints from the US…LOL

dont fill up in the UK, you’ll have a cardiac ! 😀

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections