JL
Posted By
Jeanette_Lowrie
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First of all, what in the heck is a scratch disk?? Everytime I try to start a new poject on my Adobe Photoshop 4 LE this evil alert comes up saying that the scratch disk is full and it can’t do anymore projects or.. something. I tried going into preferances and changing the scratch disk to my hard drive, but that still didn’t work… Anyone care to shed some light on the issue? It’s really annoying me because I have to get this web page done.. NOW…..

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 6, 2004
If you only have one HD, that is where your Scratch disk is.

It would seem that either your HD is already too full, or it is in need of maintenance. Try using Disk FirstAid or DiskWarrior.
JL
Jeanette_Lowrie
Apr 6, 2004
Oh man.. I hate those things… but I guess… if it’ll fix my really outdated adobe.. then I’ll do it..

But that means I won’t be able to do anything on the comp for another…. like….. three hours. Crap.

But wait, I had like two options.. Macintosh HD, and startup disk. We also have OS X installed on this comp..
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 6, 2004
My guess is that you only have one HD and it is called Macintosh HD, and it IS your startup disk!

Sorry!
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Jeanette,

It means your hard drive is full so Photoshop doesn’t find enough drive space to build its scratch disks.

Photoshop uses part of a hard drive (several GB) as its internal Virtual Memory if you will. In Photoshop’s preferences, you designate on which hard drive you want the scratch disk to reside.

If you don’t designate a scratch disk, Photoshop uses your hard drive by default. When there’s not enough space left on your hard drive, you get the error message you did.

The solution is, obviously, to make more hard drive space available to Photoshop, either by designating the scratch disk to reside on a separate hard drive, by getting a larger hard drive, or by deleting enough files from your existing hard drive to make space for the scratch disk.

Ideally, your scratch disk should be on a dedicated volume (partition) on a separate hard drive, so it doesn’t slow you down. Some users dedicate up to 30GB or more to such a dedicated partition. Figure on at least 15 or 20 times the size of the largest Photoshop file you work with.

What OS are you on (exact version), how much RAM do you have installed and how much of that is allocated to Photoshop? How big is your hard drive and how much available space is left on it? Do you have additional hard drives?

Regardless of the scratch disk issue, if your hard drive gets to be 85% full, you’re in trouble already.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Apr 7, 2004
VERY IMPORTANT:

"Regardless of the scratch disk issue, if your hard drive gets to be 85% full, you’re in trouble already."

Run, don’t walk, to buy more mass storage. Very bad things tend to happen to data when drives approach full.
T
Todie
Apr 7, 2004
Back some big files up on CDs, move them from the hard drive to the trash and empty it.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Apr 7, 2004
….and your Adobe should return to normal
B
Buko
Apr 7, 2004
How can you be using your hard drive and not be aware how full it is??
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Buko,

How can you be using your hard drive and not be aware how full it is??

That reminds me of the first release of Macintosh System 3. If you ran out of disk (diskette) space it simply deleted or overwrote other files without your knowledge or permission, as needed. Worst Apple release ever.
JL
Jeanette_Lowrie
Apr 8, 2004
Heh, it never told me anything about some bloody scratch disk, or how much space I was usuing with it… But well, we can’t expect it to work properly, remember, I have a mac 9.2.. grrrrrr. I don’t like this machine.
JL
Jeanette_Lowrie
Apr 8, 2004
Mhhhmkay. I removed and deleted 2000 files and still.. the disk is apparently full.. Should I just continue deleting files? I mean.. I can’t hav everything on disk….
B
Buko
Apr 8, 2004
Buy a new Hard drive they are cheap I just got a Maxtor 120 gig internal ATA at Staples for $109 plus you get a $20 rebate
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2004
Jeannette,

How big is your hard drive and much space is left?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 8, 2004
On Windows, the scratch files are named " ~pst[numbers].TMP ", if someone could say how they are named on Mac, shut down photoshop and look if there are some left on your HD… the can be really big!

quote" Heh, it never told me anything about some bloody scratch disk, or how much space I was usuing with it…" in your car, the empty gaz tank warning light will never annoy you as long as there is gaz in the bloody tank… 😉
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2004
On Windows, the scratch files are named " ~pst[numbers].TMP ", if someone could say how they are named on Mac

In OS 9.2.2, they are inside an invisible folder named "Cleanup At Startup" and are simply named "Photoshop Temp[number]". You can’t see them or delete them except with software like DeskZap or ResEdit, both of which can be pretty dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2004
I used to use a nice little freeware application called "Eradicator" for deleting unwanted Temp files from the earlier versions of Photoshop on Mac OS9.

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/1471>
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2004
Ann,

I just went to check out Eradicator and it seems it only works on the "Temporary Items" folder, which is of course a great help, but that’s not where the Photoshop scratch disk files are –at least not if your scratch disk is on a separate drive from your boot drive, since such separate drives or volumes do not have a "Temporary Items" folder.

As I said, the Photoshop scratch files are inside an invisible folder named "Cleanup At Startup". My guess is that there will be one with the same name created on the boot drive too if that’s where the scratch disk has been defined. If so, Eradicator won’t affect the Photoshop files.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 8, 2004
The temp files shouldnt even be an issue if Jeannette is using OS 9.2.2.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2004
As I recall, the problem was that the .tmp files remained invisible and did not get get moved to the "Cleanup At Startup" folder — they just bred in dark places all over the HD.

But all of this was long ago in a distant galaxy — and I may not have even had a second HD in those daysÂ…Â…
JL
Jeanette_Lowrie
Apr 8, 2004
It’s invisible? ehh.. wonder what other invisable space taker uppers are lurking in my HD…

I’ll uh. try that eradicator thingy.
G
graffiti
Apr 8, 2004
invisable space taker uppers
eradicator thingy

Jeanette,
Please try not to be so technical in these forums or you’ll lose the regulars. 🙂
J
JasonSmith
Apr 8, 2004
"the problem was that the .tmp files remained invisible and did not get get moved to the "Cleanup At Startup" folder"

Yep. It was a bug in OS 9.0.

9.0.1 might have fixed it, but either way it was definitely fixed by the time 9.1 shipped.

You dont really need third party software. Just do a sherlock search either by file size or with ‘tmp’ in the name.

Or both.
B
Buko
Apr 8, 2004

9.1 fixed it.

not 9.0.1
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 8, 2004
are you sure that it wasn’t 9.0.0.0.1?

Jeanette, what is the free space on your hard drive?
coudl you buy an extra one? or free some space by backing up unecessary data?
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2004
Pierre,

Jeanette’s not saying. I’ve asked a couple of times already. 🙂
B
Buko
Apr 8, 2004
Pierre, please don’t confuse the issue there was OS 9.0.1 – 9.0.4 all suffered from the temp file bug. Apple released OS 9.1 that fixed the bug among other things. Of course you wouldn’t know this not having used a Mac.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 14, 2004
Hes, Buko, it was just the discussioon about a coma that amused me… anyways, some people call photoshop 7.01 "7.1" and that does not help to the confusion…

And I did use macs at school… If only they were affordable, I’d get one!
B
Buko
Apr 14, 2004
it was just the discussioon about a coma that amused me

I’m glad you are amused.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 14, 2004
Muse, don’t amuse…

Buko, I did not have fun of your operating system…
(deleted the part about having to put a floppy into the trashcan to eject it, or using the keyboard for Right+Click 😉 )
As I said, I wish I had one!
B
Buko
Apr 14, 2004
deleted the part about having to put a floppy into the trashcan to eject it

You guy’s still use those on PCs. how quaint. B)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections