Posted By
David Jabs
Sep 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear All,

I have multiple underwater images in which I have captured a very prominent sun burst effect. I shoot slide film, scan the images and import into PSE 2.0. The sun burst appears perfectly on the computer screen however when I print the sun burst becomes almost un-noticable.

I have tried this with several different images, tried different PSE manipulations, 4 different printers (including two consumer photo retail outlets) and still can not get a good result. I have the gamma set on my machine, use color management, and have had good output with printing for other underwater images. It seems that the printing operation blends the background and totally fades and washes out the sun burst effect.

Has anyone else overcome this problem? suggestions?

Thank you,

David Jabs

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JC
Jane Carter
Sep 12, 2003
Hi David, I have thousands of underwater slides, and I have been trying to digitize with,,,,,no we won’t go into details here,,,,it works great but the time involved is overwhelming.

I have several that I have done very succesfully, and have found that PSE does a wonderful job on them. You have to make many layers, and work with the colors and detail. I am only a beginner with PSE, but with the many u/w pictures that I have, I must learn how to do this properly. That is why I watch this forum very closely for any underwater picture info. The technology that even landlubbing tourists have now, is beyond what we ever had, so it is somewhat frustrating. If we had had what technology is available now, then, when the reefs were the way they were. That is one of the reasons that I am studying PSE.
Keep up the u/w topics,,,,,Thanks,
Jane
DJ
David Jabs
Sep 15, 2003
Hello Jane,

I recall your response to my last inquiry on color balance. It sounds like we are trying to accomplish the same types of things. I will continue to post my questions on the forumn and see what comes back. I am also just learning PSE and had helpful input on my last query. I hope you continue to share your thoughts and questions.

Kind Regards,

David
JC
Jane Carter
Sep 15, 2003
Hi David, I have found that each of my old slides require different color. I just have to play with each one, and go back and compare all my duplicates. It is fun to see what PSE will do! Time consuming, but what I can do with my old photos taken with one of the first Calypso cameras, is spectacular! It was the first self contained affordable U/W camera available for the consumer market. I bought mine in 1962. The technology has sure come a long way. PSE can take the old ones and make them look like you have taken the picture with a new Nikonos lV, (almost).
I have a lot of these to get to this winter.
If you have any questions, this is the place to be, I have learned much here, I just started PSE in February.
Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections