PN
Posted By
Patti Nykamp
Sep 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I went back to read some of the older messages, because I was having this problem when I tried to scan pictures also. I read all the messages and you asked me to continue writing because I perplexed alot of you – so by popular request I will give you step by step what I do and what I end up with. I could even send one of you one of my pictures and you will see how you have to scroll to see picture.
I open the picture up in PSE, I go to Image Resize and put the pixels at 400×600 and resolution at 200 and the pixels automatically change to 900×600. I save it on my desktop and then go to AOL and attach it and send. Both the contraint box and Resample boxes are checked also. I have tried the above using smaller and smaller sizes, but I still have to scroll. It would be interesting to send one to you and see how you get it and what you think. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EM
Eric Matthes
Sep 13, 2003
Patti,
What pixel size is the image when you first open the image?
EM
Eric Matthes
Sep 13, 2003
Patti,
After reading through your other posts, give this a try:

1. Open original image.
2. Click on Image>Resize>Image Size.
3. With Resample unchecked, set the resolution to 72dpi. Ignore what the other measurements do. Click OK.
4. With Resample checked, set the pixel dimensions to 400×600, or the dimensions to 4x6inches. Click OK.
5. Save it as a jpeg. Saving for web will make the file smaller, but either way you save it, you should be able to see it without scrolling.

I believe you may have been doing the resolution and pixel adjustments in the same step, which may have undone each other. Hope this helps.

Eric
PN
Patti Nykamp
Sep 13, 2003
The pixel size of the particular picture I am trying to send is 1800 x 1200
PN
Patti Nykamp
Sep 13, 2003
Eric – still didn’t work, I had to scroll, but when I put in the pixels in at 400 x 600, the 400 jumped to 900? I saved it as a jpeg too. Any other ideas, I would really like to get this down, because I have a digital camera and would like to email pictures to people of my new grandson and new puppy. Thanks for your help.
PN
Patti Nykamp
Sep 13, 2003
I also tried saving for th web and it made no difference.
P
Phosphor
Sep 13, 2003
Patti,

I think you would have an easier time using the save for web feature.

I don’t know whether you have Elements 1.0 or 2.0 and I hear save for web behaves slightly differently in the two versions. This is for 2.0 but should be close enough for you to use 1.0 if that is what you have. I’ve only used version 2.0 so I can’t say for sure how version 1.0 differs.

After you have your photo loaded into Elements, go to the menu and select File, Save for Web. On the right hand side of the save for web dialog box, there are a couple of areas labeled "settings" and "new size".

Under "settings", select JPG and set the quality to 80 (or whatever you want — the smaller the number the more jpg artifacts you will see and the more degraded the image will be). Then go to "new size" and make sure the "constrain proportions" box is checked. Then, set the largest of the width or height boxes to 300 pixels. Now click on the "apply" button.

At the bottom of the save for web dialog, there is a icon labeled "Preview in". Click on that and it will load the resized image into your browser so you can see what it would look like. If it’s too big or too small, go back and change the value in the "new size" box, click apply, and preview again until you’re happy with the size.

Now look at the two images on the left side of the dialog box. They are supposed to represent what the original image and the new image look like. Ignore that for now but look below the second image and see how large it will be. If you will be sending the photo to someone on a dial-up modem, you’ll want to try to keep that on the smallish side (say 100k or less for example). The estimated time it would take a modem user to download the image is shown just below the size. If the size shown is too big, you can reduce it by lowering the quality setting but don’t go too far.

Finally, click on "ok" and a save as dialog will appear. Select the location and name and save the image. Now, you can go into your email program and attach the new photo.

Hope this helps,

Bob
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 13, 2003
Patti,

I created a test image in your dimensions (1800×1200) and successfully reduced it to 640×480 (just a smaller size I arbitrarily chose for the experiment) two different ways.

1. Using Image->Resize->Image Size

– at the bottom of the Image Size dialog, have both Constrain and Resample selected.
– at the top, in Pixel Dimensions, make sure that Width and Height show pixels as the unit in the right-hand field.
– in Pixel Dimensions, whichever dimension is LARGEST, replace with 640. The other dimension will automatically change.
– Click OK

2. Using Save For Web

– in the very bottom left, set the Zoom setting so that you can see enough of the image for your own comfort.
– at the right, in New Size, make sure that Constrain is selected. – in New Size, replace the LARGEST dimension with 640. The other dimension will automatically change.
– in New Size, click Apply.
– click OK
– complete the Save As by picking a file name. This makes a NEW COPY of the file in the new size.

Let us know if either method succeeds!

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 13, 2003
Bob,

Good idea with the Preview!!! I hadn’t thought of that…

Byron
PN
Patti Nykamp
Sep 13, 2003
Byron
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Actually I can even make it bigger now, but it works and it is easy, I can’t thank everyone enough for helping me with this. Thannks so much you are the greatest!!!!
Thanks.
Patti
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 13, 2003
Patti,

That’s great news!! I felt confident that it was just a matter of poking at it a few times…

Byron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections