How to determine document file size inside PS7 ?

Posted By
150mph
Apr 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In the bottom left corner field it sez

Doc: 89.4M / 672.4 M

while in Finder, (in a folder) it shows the actual file size is 404 MB

Where do I find the 404 MB figure in PS?

What is the significance of these other two numbers and how can I use them to make life better?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Apr 8, 2004
First, make sure you have selected the appropriate view option, Document Size, to display information on the amount of data in the image. The number on the left represents the printing size of the image–approximately the size of the saved, flattened file in Adobe Photoshop format. The number on the right indicates the file’s approximate size including layers and channels.

Where do I find the 404 MB figure in PS?

That is the size of the compressed image file on your disk, so you’ll find it right where you did, in the Finder. 🙂

One of the factors that affect file size is file format–due to varying compression methods used by GIF, JPEG, and PNG file formats, file sizes can vary considerably for the same pixel dimensions. Similarly, color bit-depth and the number of layers and channels in an image affect file size.

Go to Photoshop’s "Help" and do a search on Tracking File Sizes.
150mph
Apr 9, 2004
Thanks Ramon. How does knowing the printing size help? If I send this doc to the printer, does it spool 404, 89.4 or 672.4 MB’s?

So layered Photoshop files are uncompressed and the Finder image files are compressed? You lost me.

Seems to me the 404 MB figure is the only important number and I don’t understand why the others are helpful.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
So layered Photoshop files are uncompressed and the Finder image files are compressed? You lost me.

Open files are uncompressed (whether one or more layers). The size of the uncompressed file represents the Memory space it needs. The closed file in the Finder is compressed to the degree specified by the file format you chose to save the file.

When you send a file to the printer, it gets flattened if it had more than one layer. If it’s already a one-layer file, it’s already flattened.

Seems to me the 404 MB figure is the only important number and I don’t understand why the others are helpful.

My sentiments exactly. I have no idea why you are worrying about the other figures. If you were in a position to make use of them, you would know.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Once again:

Go to Photoshop’s "Help" and do a search on Tracking File Sizes.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 9, 2004
Seems to me the 404 MB figure is the only important number and I don’t understand why the others are helpful

As someone who does a lot of scans for customers, I find the uncompressed image size to be very useful, our billing for scans depends on the uncompressed file size (ie a 20Mb scan will cost the same wether it is saved as a TIFF, a JPEG or a PSD, even though the file sizes (as opposed to image size) are different)
R
Ram
Apr 10, 2004
Of course you’re right, Rene. That’s the type of thing I had in mind when I typed

I have no idea why you are worrying about the other figures. If you were in a position to make use of them, you would know.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections