DI
Posted By
Derek I Reed
Sep 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just got Elements. I seem to have a problem with layers. If I import a couple of pictures I expect them to appear as layers on the same image but they don’t. They each have their own "layer" and don’t appear together. What am I doing wrong?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 17, 2003
Derek, a few thoughts:

Did you ‘import’ the images into Elements or did you ‘open’ them? I’m guessing it’s the latter. In any case, each picture you open will be a standalone image – which you can then bring together into a single image. To combine the two images into a ‘layer cake’ in a single image:

1. Open both images on the desktop – put them side-by-side if possible for ease of performing the next step.
2. Find the Move tool in the Toolbox (4-pointed arrow); with the tool selected, click on one of the two images, hold down the mouse button, and drag from the first image into the second image, then release the mouse button.
3. Check the layers palette, which you can find in the Palette well or by
doing a Window<Layers (click on Layers). You should see your two images stacked as separate layers in the Palette.

Note that you’ll only see the top layer in the main view of the image; that’s because the other layer is covered by the top layer. That’s your starting point – now you can decide how you want the two layers to interact.

Hope that helps.

Chuck
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 17, 2003
Derek,

Just a hint to add to Chuck’s excellent posting. You can also drag from the layers palette, a single layer to another image. And if you hold down shift during the process it will center the layer on the new image. It is also important that when combining images into multilayered docs, that you have the same resolution between images. Makes life a lot easier.

Rich
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 17, 2003
Rich, very good point on holding the Shift key down; I forget to mention that because I usually move layers with Select>All, Edit>Copy, and Edit>Paste, which self-aligns…

Chuck
DI
Derek I Reed
Sep 18, 2003
Bless you! That’s me sorted. Thanks for your help
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 1, 2004
Bob

Using the Select Tool draw out a circle to the size and location you want. Go to the main menu and select Edit > Stroke fill in the appropriate boxes and you click OK and you will have your circle.

Grant
MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 1, 2004
It’s simple, but it’s not obvious and definitely not stupid. I had to learn it here.

Select the circular marquee tool from you tool bar. Hold down the shift key to get a perfect circle as you click and drag with your mouse and also hold down the space bar to move the circle where you want it.

Next, go to your menu Edit>Stroke (how could I have guessed?) and when the dialogue box opens you can select the color and how many pixels you want for you circle width.

Edit: Now Grant, what are you doing up so late? You should let us Pacific coasters answer questions and you get a good nights sleep.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections