PA
Posted By
Patti Anderson
Sep 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best way to (or can we) wrap a flat object around a curved object? Example: Let’s say I wanted to take a flat picture of grapes that I have on one layer and make it look like it wraps around a wine bottle in a photo that I have on another layer.

Inquiring minds want to know… 🙂

Patti

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EM
Elena Murphy
Sep 19, 2003
You could try the 3D transform filter…
PD
Pete D
Sep 19, 2003
Patti,

I think this will give you what you want.

Have the grapes picture open and then make a duplicate layer. (Hope you understand layers)….Layer/Duplicate Layer.

Now open the wine bottle picture making sure to resize it to match the grape picture both in size and resolution. Have both pictures open side by side and click the "move tool" (the one that looks like a plus sign with arrowheads); Click on and hold the wine bottle picture and drag it on to the grapes picture.

Look at the layers palette and you will see the top layer is the wine bottle and the other two layers below are the grapes. Click on the "layer thumbnail" of the wine bottle and drag it in between the grapes layers.

Now single click on the top "grapes layer thumbnail" to make it active and just above that you will see "Opacity is 100%". Click the right arrow by that 100% and make it about 50%, enough so you can see the wine bottle through the grapes picture.

Now click on the eraser tool and erase grapes from areas of the bottle so there is enough of the wine bottle showing….making it look like it is wrapped in grapes.

PeteD
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 19, 2003
Hi Pete 🙂

Patti, again 1001 ways to do something in PSE. I’ve done it this way with success; Take the label and put it on it’s side and use the distort ‘shear’ filter. Afterwards, you can position it on the bottle correctly by using the move/transform tool and the options there. Play 🙂
PA
Patti Anderson
Sep 19, 2003
Thanks all! I tried Jodi’s way first and it worked for what I wanted, but I am saving the other answers too, for future reference. If anyone has another method, please share!

I wasn’t actually working on grapes, that was just an example. If I can get this image to a point when I am happy with it, it will be in the #33 challenge. That’s all I’m sayin’ for now… 🙂 I sent last week’s challenge in kind of late so I’m trying to get this one done early.

I definitely learn by playing, Jodi, but when my *playing* begins to eat into work time, I figure I better ask the pros. Every time I ask a question on this forum, my knowledge of using PE increases exponentially! BTW…I could’ve taken it in CorelDraw to get "the wrap"…but then I wouldn’t have learned anything.

TTFN
Patti
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 20, 2003
Patti

You did wonderfully well with the cow and warp in the Challenge.

Grant
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2003
You did wonderfully well with the cow and warp in the Challenge.
Grant

I’m going to second that! Wonderful idea!!!
PA
Patti Anderson
Sep 20, 2003
Thanks guys! There’s nothing like a challenge to help you learn new techniques.

Robert, your "Playcow" cover is too funny!

Patti

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections