MT
Posted By
Michael_Tagariello
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Running PS CS XP with 4 gb memory. Saving and opening tiffs takes forever. PS layered files not as bad. I’ve down loaded the plugin to address larger memory and also followed all other forum suggestions to improve performance but it still takes several minutes to open even a 100 mb file! Even spoke to tech support. I’ve also made various memory setting changes (25%, 50%, 75%) in preferences (which I need to lower to 25% to occasionally scale images in Extensis Pxl SmartScale). Seems like Photoshop is wasting loads of time drawing thumbnails when I select a tiff file to open? (NVIDIA 5200 card with 128 mb running 2 monitors). Any suggestions? Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 28, 2005
First, check the OS swapfile settings, make sure max=min=twice your installed RAM.
MT
Michael_Tagariello
Apr 28, 2005
Not sure how to do that but if you’re referring to "paging size", OS won’t let me enter larger than 4096.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Apr 29, 2005
Chris is talking about your OS settings. In Windows XP, it will be in the Control Panel somewhere. Windows has its own swap file.
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Apr 29, 2005
Michael:
Maybe you need to check your scratch disk settings. If possible the scratch disk should be on another hard drive than the one (normally C) where the program is installed. My C drive is getting a bit crowded so I installed CS2 Suite on another drive and designated still yet another drive for the scratch disk. My whole machine is running faster with CS2 that it did with CS. Perhaps Adobe addressed the memory leaks every one has griped about. (P4 3.2 running at 3.51 (and the temperature is fine) 2 gig ram.
Hope this helps,
Joe
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 29, 2005
What memory leaks?
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 29, 2005
step away from the baseball bat chris… step away REEEEEAL slow like!
MT
Michael_Tagariello
Apr 29, 2005
Thank you everyone. PS CS is installed on C drive (200gb) and my scratch disk is D (120gb). My paging file size (Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory), Total Paging file size for all drives (C&D) is 8184mb. Both drives settings are: C drive: Initial MB 4092, Max MB 4092. D drive is the same. I can’t help but to think tiffs open slow because PS is taking a long time creating a thumbnail in the open dialogue box?
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 29, 2005
It’s possible. See if they open faster from "recent files".
MT
Michael_Tagariello
Apr 29, 2005
They do open faster from "recent files". They still do take a long time to save though…particularly "save as". PSD’s open and save much faster (which makes no sense file-size wise). Opening tiffs takes a long time (as it generates a thumb nail). Should I change image cache? (it’s at 4). I have to say, Photoshop 7.0 ran alot faster. I realize that LZW will ad to the opening time but not all files are LZW compressed. Photoshop 7.0 ran alot faster. I’m kinda bumbed with this performance. (P4 2.6ghz by the way) Thanks for your help Chris.
KC
Kent_C
Apr 29, 2005
Chris,

Re:
"Total Paging file size for all drives (C&D) is 8184mb. Both drives settings are: C drive: Initial MB 4092, Max MB 4092. D drive is the same."

Wasn’t there a tech doc saying to drop the paging file from the drive where the scratch disk was? Did that change?
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 29, 2005
There is a techdoc on performance tuning which covers that. Yes, not a good idea to have system paging and Photoshop scratch on the same physical drive if it could be avoided.

-Scott

wrote:

Wasn’t there a tech doc saying to drop the paging file from the drive where the scratch disk was? Did that change?
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 29, 2005
I think it is the thumbnail that’s slowing down opening. If you had browsed the file and built up a thumbnail there, then we wouldn’t be building a thumbnail in the open dialog. And due to some other problems, the preview built during the open dialog isn’t interruptable.

You can try changing the OS view in the open dialog so that it doesn’t show the thumbnail while opening.

But none of that should affect saving a TIFF. And I haven’t seen any other reports of that being slow where there wasn’t something else thrashing the disk (like the OS swapfile).

No, changing the image cache won’t affect opening or saving.
MT
Michael_Tagariello
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks Chris. Don’t know how to change the "view in the open dialog" though? I have just deleted paging file size for the D drive though (which is in fact, a seperate physical drive). Printing (Epson 9600) lots of backlits for a client now, but will torture test this new change in a couple of hours. Thanks so much for your help and I hope to speed things up around here soon (since I’ve got about 100-200 to 300mb files to print in the next two weeks!)
KC
Kent_C
Apr 30, 2005
Thanks for the verification, Scott.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 30, 2005
Michael – the open dialog is provided by the OS. Change the viewing style (same as in the explorer).

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections