LL
Posted By
louis levin
Sep 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Pictures seem to dispay in elements 2 in random sizes and have a notation at the top with a percentage (%) sign.
I figure out how to enlarge a photo. The only I can do is to get the picture to change size but it has white or gray around it when I do that.
Also, once in a while it loses its box or window and is just a plain picture sitting on the program. I am then unable to get it off without closing down the program and reopening it.
Thank you.
Louis

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Sep 22, 2003
Louis, I might be misunderstanding, but I think you’re confusing the process of physically resizing an image that you’re going to print with the ability to zoom in or out on the picture while viewing it in Elements. What you see on the monitor often has no bearing on the size a picture will be when you print it.

If you’ll post some information about the picture and tell us what you’d like to accomplish, we can give you step by step instructions. To get information about the size of the image you’re working with now, go to Image>Resize>Image Size. There will be several boxes. One will give the width of the image (there’s a little arrow where you can change the display to show the size in pixels, inches, or centimeters.) Another will give you the height of the image (same drill in terms of how that’s measured.) You’ll also see a box toward the bottom where the resolution in ppi (pixels per inch) is given. Copy that down and post it, and then tell us what size print you’d like to make.

In most cases, you’ll want to do the resizing of the actual image from within this box. There are some exceptions, but they can be discussed further down the line.
LL
louis levin
Sep 22, 2003
I wasn’t looking to resize per se as far as printing but for making the display larger on the screen. Your suggestion helped of course.
The top of the photo when it appeared originally said for example, boats.jpg @66.7% RGB.
If I use the sides of the windows to alter the size it stretches the window but does not resize the photo.
What I didn’t notice till now was that when I click on the full screen box is that the picture stays the same, the title, I guess you call it [boats.jpg @66.7% RGB]goes to the very top and there is an X for closing out that photo.
I tried the crop tool on the enlarged window and Ctrl-D did not work to stop the cropping lines that go around it.
I need to learn the terminology so my explanations can be clearer. Please know Beth that I very much appreciate your help. Now and future. I need it, and if you ever want to add or elaborate anything you feel I should or need to know, please do so.
Louis
P
Phosphor
Sep 22, 2003
I just answered your question about the Crop tool, too – kind of. I find it hard to get along with, particularly the fact there’s no way to get it to let go if I decide I don’t want to crop anything! You’re right Control-D sure doesn’t do it!

Also, since you’re just starting out, one suggestion I would make is to get into the habit of converting your images to a non-lossy format like PSD or TIFF. JPEGs are a very commonly used by digital cameras to conserve space on the cards, but they’re what’s known as a "lossy" format – meaning that each time you edit and resave, the image compression inherent in JPEG format tosses out information about the colors in the file. It isn’t noticeable if you edit and resave only a couple of times, but the image quality will degrade if it’s used often.

And – first on the list – always work on a copy!! 🙂 Oh, and Welcome to Elements!
B
bluegaga
Sep 22, 2003
"Also, once in a while it loses its box or window and is just a plain picture sitting on the program. I am then unable to get it off without closing down the program and reopening it."

Hi Louis…not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I had such a problem when "somehow" my picture would show up on a light gray background without a "title" strip attached to the picture. The title strip would be across the top of the screen. Finally found out how to return to regular PSE screen with photo showing it’s title attached to it. You have 2 sets of – middle design then the X at the top right hand corner. (Obviously I don’t know the language either, sorry) Click on the middle of the three in the bottom set…it controls the image part of PSE. The other top row controls PSE.

Just ignore all this if this is not one of your problems!!! Dorothy
LL
louis levin
Sep 23, 2003
Actually you are right on Dorothy. I found one X in the grey area to get the photo off but can’t find the set of 3 you refer to in that middle set.
It is frustrating being so at a loss and ignorant about a program but I am determined to not only get a grip on PSE but to understand graphics and graphics programs in general.
And it seems that the answer to each question brings up several more. Thank you.
Louis
P.S. Is there a way to change this thread to receive e-mail notification like I have with another question I posted?
LL
louis levin
Sep 23, 2003
.. . .always work on a copy!!
How and where do I get that copy?
And when I do, should I save the copy as a finished product or apply what I did to the original? Louis
NS
Nancy S
Sep 23, 2003
Louis,

You can get a copy by simply using the commands copy/paste within your browser or within PSE by Edit>Duplicate. If using the Edit/Dupe methode, the copy will come in right on top of the original. Just grab the title bar of the copy and drag it down a bit to expose the original’s title bar and click on the X to close it. Now you have preserved the original and will be working on a copy.

It is best to go to Edit>Save As and use the scroll bar to choose the .psd format to put it in a non-lossy format. You can rename your file in this box if desired. Now you can use Open>Recent to pull up that copy.psd to work on it. Grab the tab on screen which says "Layers" and pull it down the right side of your screen so it is always visible. Double click the layer which says Background to turn it into a regular layer which will allow all editing. Right clicking that layer will offer to duplicate the layer, it is a good thing to do.

Going to Image>Resize>Image size will show you the resolution of the image. If your goal will be to print the image, without Resample checked, change to resolution to somewhere between 200-300ppi. As you increase the res. you’ll notice the physical size decrease, they are inversely proportional.

I’d suggest you use Google to search out some of the great tutorials for beginners.

Nancy
L
lgreen2001
Sep 23, 2003
Louis,

You might try taking one (or more) of the classes offered by Eclectic Academy (you can get addy thru Google)……..several of us here have learned a lot by taking a class or two in PSE from them………

Beth,

Doesn’t pressing Escape get rid of the Crop selection?

Cheers,
Lynn
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2003
Lynn – maybe. 🙂 I always forget the Escape key. Mac users don’t have much need for it, so it’s not something that comes to mind. Of course, I’ll probably have forgotten about it again by the next time I fiddle with the Crop tool. That thing and I just don’t work well together.
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2003
Louis – in answer to your question about getting responses via e-mail – look below the window where you can type a new message. There’s a little box that can be checked called "Subscribe to this discussion by email". I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure that’s what you’re looking for.
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2003
Yes, the escape key works if you haven’t pressed return yet. Then you’re back to command/control Z.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections