LG
Posted By
Lorace Graham
Sep 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I guess I always like to know the WHY of something, especially when I see the WHAT of it.

Why are there some layers you cannot simplify?? (Rasters?)

I brought in an animated .GIF file which I wanted to change a bit. I saved it as a .psd file, then brought it back in.

When I tried to add to a layer, the message came on about it needed simplifying. But simplify layer is greyed out in ALL places.

I was in RGB mode, the layers showed as normal with 100% Opacity.

I am wondering why.

Thanks in advance,
Lorace

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 26, 2003
This doesn’t show on the forum with any date. Hmmm. Did I do something wrong?
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 26, 2003
Lorace Graham wrote:
This doesn’t show on the forum with any date. Hmmm. Did I do something wrong?

It looks fine on the newsgroup. 🙂 (so no I don’t think you did anything wrong)

Newsgroup date: 9/24/2003 2:18 PM

And sorry but I can’t answer your question. I have no idea what the answer is.
B
BobHill
Sep 26, 2003
Lorace,

From HELP: You can simplify a type layer, shape layer, solid color layer, gradient layer, pattern fill layer, or a layer set imported from Photoshop in order to convert the layer’s content into a raster image. Once you simplify a layer, you can apply filters to it and edit it with the painting tools. However, you can no longer make changes to the layer using the type- and shape-editing options.

To simplify a layer:

In the Layers palette, select a type layer, shape layer, fill layer, or a Photoshop layer set. Simplify the layer or layer set:
If you selected a shape layer, click Simplify in the options bar. If you selected a type, shape, or fill layer, or a Photoshop layer set, choose Simplify Layer from either the Layer menu or the Layers palette More menu.

Bob
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 26, 2003
Bob,

Thank you for replying — but the problem is that I know HOW to simplify a layer – however, I keep running into the problem of not being ABLE to simplify a layer because that option is greyed out when I try to do it. (my original post states the situation where this happens.)

For better digitizing,

Lorace
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 26, 2003
Lorace, what kind of layer did you try to add, and had you done anything else to the image prior to adding the new layer? Trying to reconstruct your scenario….

Chuck
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 26, 2003
Chuck,

I opened an animated .GIF file. Then I saved it as a PSD file. It had 100% opacity and RGB color.

I added a layer, then tried to work on it, and was notified that I needed to simplify it. So, I went to Layers, Simplify was greyed out. I right/clicked and Simplify was greyed out. So I tried each of the other layers, the same thing.

I just could not simplify a layer. And I just wonder why.

Thanks,

Lorace
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 26, 2003
Lorace, I’m playing Lt. Columbo….."Just a few more questions…."

What kind of layer?

What were you trying to do (i.e., what tool were you using) when you got the message?

Did you save as PSD, close the file, then re-open it?

Not sure this is going to help but we keep trying!

🙂

Chuck
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 26, 2003
Yes, Columbo, (lol)

I had reopened it as a PSD file, 100% opacity.

I believe I was using the eraser. I was trying to erase a Letter on a T layer.

Lorace
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 26, 2003
Aha! The T layer must not have been simplified before you started working on it; to simplify the T layer, you have to go to the check mark at the right end of the toolbar associated with the T tool. Maybe that’ll fix it….?

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
But why were you trying to erase a letter using the eraser? Elements handles Text just like a word processor; if you want to remove a letter, you just highlight it and hit delete. Or did you do something super fancy that I’m not even smart enough to imagine? Hey, I’m not being sarcastic; people do all kinds of stuff with Elements that I’d never dream about! If you were trying to treat a Text layer like a layer on which you’d paint or clone, that may be why the application was giving you those weird messages – it was confused.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 26, 2003
Beth, good idea – once the text layer is simplified, it’s pretty well uneditable, and you may as well throw out that text layer and start again. Unless, of course, you just want to a letter or a line or whatever, and don’t really want to replace what’s erased.
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 26, 2003
Chuck, I’m trying to recreate and for some reason, I’m able to simplify the layers. Perhaps I was still working on the .GIF file and not the PSD. Oh, me. Sorry.

Beth, good question and I can see why you asked it. Actually, this layer had not only the Letter on it but, also, a picture. I wanted the letter off of the picture.

Now this shows me that I told Chuck wrong. It couldn’t have been a Text layer, could it? Darn, I’m sorry – But, as I recall, I could not simplify any of the layers, which makes me wonder – maybe they were already simplified?

This gets worse and worse, so please ignore me – and if it comes up again, I’ll get back and describe the situation intelligently.

Thanks for taking time. I really do appreciate it.

Lorace
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 26, 2003
Lorace, your curiosity is a real asset in learning Elements – glad you’re sticking with this one to figure it out!

Was the letter really ‘on’ the picture, i.e., on the same layer or was there in fact a text layer that contained the letters? If the letters were on the same layer with the image, then somewhere along the way the text layer had not only been simplified, but also merged or flattened. So many ways to collapse a ‘layer cake’…

Now that I think about it, you said this started out as a GIF, which wouldn’t have had layers….so I guess you must have added them before saving as a PSD.

Chuck

p.s. I changed the name of the thread for my response this time…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections