Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I just installed the trial version of Photoshop Elements, but when I start the program it crashes when scanning for plug-ins.

Help me!
Greetz,
Miet

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Did you download via dialup or DSL/cable modem? You might have gotten a bad download, especially if you did it via dialup. Try going into the Elements application folder and removing plugins. If Elements launches then, you will at least have narrowed down the source of the problem.
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
I have downloaded via DSL.
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Did you try taking out the plugins folder to see if Elements would complete the launch without it?
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
I took out the folders Effects and Filters (from the Plug-Ins folder). Without them I can run PSE but when I put one of them back (or both) the program crashes on starting up. I hope I will solve the problem soon, ’cause without these plug-ins I cannot edit my images the way I want to. Anyway thanks for helping already.
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
Font Smoothing (Mac OS X) identified as cause for crashes on start up

I have had Elements crash on me every time I tried to start it up from my account, but not on the other users’ accounts on my machine. For me, the solution has been this:

I found out that the minimum font size for font smoothing has something to do with it. I’m using a graphics application (Create) which works better for very small font sizes if you change the font smoothing threshold to 6 (instead of the minimum of 8 from the General system preference); i use the terminal command line "defaults write -g AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 6" to perform this change.

Setting the minimum font size for smoothing back to 8 from System Preferences/General immediately solves the crashing problem!

Sincerely,
RJvM
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
I am using WinXP

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections