MR
Posted By
Mark Reibman
Sep 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I found this link on dpreview.com about color correction on portraits. I gave it a try using some very basic Elements tools and the results seem very good against the more involved steps used by others with Photoshop. What are your experiences with color correction for skin tone. It seems to me that baring color casts and use of a gray card, the correction would be rather subjective.

Anyone care to throw in their two cents?

My version:

<http://www.pbase.com/mreib/odds_n_ends&page=2>

dpreview thread

< http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&me ssage=6166996>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 29, 2003
Mark, I plowed through most of the entries in that DPReview thread, and my conclusion is the same as yours: it’s very, very subjective. I actually liked the ‘after’ shot of the very first poster best of all the ones I saw in the thread, but your #2copy is a very close second! Some were too green, too light, too sharp, too blurred – to my eye, which means nothing to anyone but me. Some interesting techniques; still haven’t figured out what the purpose of the grayscale overlay in luminosity mode in the original posting was all about, but it seemed to work!
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Chuck

It is nearly a way of affecting the brightness of a picture without affecting the colour.

Try this – open an colourful image; duplicate layer; desaturate and change blend mode to luminosity; add a levels adjustment layer; make a visible adjustment.

With all three layers visible, the colours should be nearer the original. When you turn off visibility of the middle layer, you are seeing what the levels layer does to the original. There should be a marked colour change.

A lot of this is similar to what comes from Richard Lynch’s book and Jay Arraich’s CD on elements.

It isn’t exact, but you should get the idea.

Paul
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 29, 2003
Paul, thanks very much for the explanation – I appreciate it! Chuck
RM
Reibman, Mark
Sep 29, 2003
Thanks for your input Chuck. Unless one is clinically color blind, it comes down to trusting your own judgement. Having the breadth of skills for color correction is certainly important. What looks good is going to be in the eye of the beholder. I need to keep that in mind when I look at these discussions regarding color correction. Also, we’re not all looking at the image on the same moniter.

Just got Kelby’s Photoshop Elements book. Whoopee! What a treasure trove of information! And fortunately I’ve got some free time to explore it. Thanks for the recommendation, among many.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections