SP
Posted By
Sylvia Pollack
Sep 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just got a new computer and am trying to install Photoshop Elements 2 from the disk I’d used to install the program on my old computer. I get the message "Windows unable to find installation program". Can someone tell me the name and extension of the installation program so I can Browse the CD and get things installed?

Thanks so much,
Sylvia

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Sylvia,

I am not a wizz at this but could you tell us a bit more about your new computer. For instance whether it’s running on windows 2000 or XP or may be mac.
I understand that not all soft ware is compatible with XP whereas it was with windows.

Robert
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Sylvia,

If you are running WinXP, are you logged in using an account which has administrator rights?
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
The new computer is running on XP and the old one was Windows 98. That would be a bummer if Photoshop Elements 2 isn’t compatible.

If you have further thoughts about this, I’d sure appreciate them. Thanks,
Sylvia
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Sylvia,

Elemets 2.0 is fully comptible with XP, either Pro or Home Edition. If you have Pro editon, however, you MUST either be logged in as the system administrator or be a user who has full administrator rights, as Robert indicated. Do you have anything by Norton installed and active? If so, be sure to disable it prior to installing (or trying to) Elements. Even then, however, many many users find problems if they keep Norton on their systems with Adobe products. Norton tends to be intrusive into the working files of many programs.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Elements 2 will run very nicely on Win XP. However, if you’re running XP Pro, you will have to have full administrative rights in order to install it. If you have XP Home, let us know so someone can come up with another suggestion, because I don’t believe the "administrative rights" issue applies to it.
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
OK, Bob, which one of us has it backwards?! We were posting at the same time and came up with reverse explanations regarding XP Pro versus XP Home! 🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Thanks for the heads up, Beth. I improperly called for the reverse. I’ve gone back and edited properly to read PRO edition needs the administrative rights.

Bob
HB
Haney, Beth
Sep 29, 2003
OK. Being a Mac user, I’m not always sure I’ve got these Windows instructions locked in my head right, although I thought I had that one down. I’m glad to hear I wasn’t losing it completely! 🙂
SP
Sylvia_Pollack
Oct 1, 2003
Hi Bob -and Beth, as well!
Thanks for the info. I have the Home Edition so the administrator is not a problem. But the Norton anti-virus program definitely may be. I vaguely remember something about disabling anti-virus programs before installing (I’m a relative newbie and have to be "reminded" about such things). I had MacAfee on my old computer.

I’ll give it a try and let you know.
Thanks,
Sylvia

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections