N
Posted By
n4500wolf
Oct 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What did I do wrong. I,m lost.. All of the icons for my jpeg photos in my folders in my document folders changed from a blue icon symbol to a yellow photoshop element icon. Before this happen when I looked at an image and wanted to open it to a larger picture all I had to done was double click on the icon and it would open. Now when I double click on an icon the system opens up Adobe Photoshop Elements2 and displays the photo. I must have done something when I was tring to calibrate my CRT to my printer. Any help would br appreicated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 1, 2003
You probably made PSE your default JPEG opener. If you’ll right click on your JPEG photo on the HD, using Windows Explorer or My Computer, you can choose OPEN WITH.

Then you’ll be presented with a list of programs. Choose the one you want to open it, the one you had before, and click the Box that says Always open these files with this program (or something similar).

I have this happen quite a bit with music files, too, so I know how frustrating it is.

I don’t know what your OS is. But I believe this works in Windows98 as well as XP (which I use)

Hope it helps.
Lorace
PD
Pete_D
Oct 1, 2003
What did I do wrong. I,m lost.. All of the icons for my jpeg photos in my
folders in my document

You did nothing wrong but the default program for opening pictures has changed.

If you are using windows;

Open My Documents and right click any picture file.
On pop out window click choose program at bottom of list from next window click on the program you want; I use windows picture and fax viewer.

Pete
R
rocket-sauce
Oct 2, 2003
You can also start PSE2 and go to Edit/File Association and uncheck any filetypes you want to disassociate from PSE2. Sometimes, in Windows, this will cause them to revert to their previous default association. Also, by unchecking them in PSE2, you will make sure that it doesn’t steal back the associations every time the program is started.

Rob
N
n4500wolf
Oct 2, 2003
Pete: I,m using Compuserve 7.0 as my server. and I do not have "Choose program" at the buttom of my pop-up screen. Anyway I got the problem fixed using another fix that I received. Thanks anyway. My problem now is is when I,m using APSE2 and I request tutorial help my system goes out to CS 7.0 and opens it. Displays a blank WWW screen. The C drive goes out looking for somethink but nothing is displayed on the screen. Any Ideas. Thank Hank.
N
n4500wolf
Oct 2, 2003
Rob: Thanks for your help your information did the trick. My photos are back with the normal ICON. Now I got a problem with getting the tutorial help file from APSE2. It seems that when I attempt to click on the help module My system goes out and opens my server (Compuserve 7.0) Then it opens a blank screen but does not display the tutorial file from APSE2 as it did in the past. Any ideas. Thank for all your help: Hank.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
My guess is that Compuserve, like AOL, has had the developers make a customized version of Internet Explorer for them. AOL users can’t view Help or Tutorials, either, and the solution for them is to install a plain vanilla version of IE 5.0 or above. Set it as your default browser under Internet Options>Web. It doesn’t effect regular use of AOL, so it shouldn’t effect Compuserve, either. It does, though, allow you to read the Help and Tutorials in HTML.
N
n4500wolf
Oct 3, 2003
Beth: Thanks for your help. As you stated I set IE5.0 as my default and it worked. Thanks loads for your help. Wish I was smart enough to fix these problems. I spent 20 + years working on big mainframes systems and never had this much problems. Maybe because you had to write everything yourself. Thanks anyway Hank..
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 3, 2003
Hang in there, Hank, it won’t be long before you’re helping others. Keep hanging out on the forum and paying attention, and you’ll be amazed at what you pick up. I’ve never had either AOL or Compuserve, and furthermore I run Macs, and now I can even do some Windows troubleshooting! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections