Some Plank-Walking in Their Future? Or Just Bars?

AS
Posted By
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Investigators seized 200 computers across the globe to break up online piracy networks that distribute copyrighted music, movies and software, the U.S. Justice Department said on Thursday.
"The sweep, carried out in 27 U.S. states and 10 foreign countries, targeted covert ‘warez’ groups that distribute computer games and other works before they are officially released, the Justice Department said."

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Apr 23, 2004
So, what, Ann?

Are you too good to come slummin’ with us and post this in the Lounge, where it belongs?

😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 24, 2004
I am just delighted to see the Pirates getting their come-uppance. We are all paying more for our software because of their activities.
B
Buko
Apr 24, 2004
Well I hope its the little #@%*! are the ones that have been SPAMming I’ve forwarding all their email to Adobe.
B
Buko
Apr 24, 2004
is there a link Ann
L
LRK
Apr 24, 2004
Me too Ann. I recently got more offers that seemed too good to be true. Forwarded them to
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 24, 2004
I noticed that Denmark is mentioned. That was where a lot of the SPAM that I received came from. I forwarded it all to ) too.

Maybe we helped?

Reuter’s Story < http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews &storyID=4912693&section=news>
J
JasonSmith
Apr 24, 2004
Phosphor – I thought you got voted out by the ‘Adobe people’ in the lounge %D
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 24, 2004
I think everyone knows where I stand on counterfeiting.

I think this is an Adobe Photoshop issue and belongs here
AW
Allen_Wicks
Apr 24, 2004
Unfortunately, no planks and no bars. At best a slap and a new distribution point by the same folks.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 24, 2004
I get a lot spam. A lot of it is still for counterfeit software, particularly for Adobe and Microsoft products — but every popular product shows up on their sale sheets. Photoshop and Office are hot sellers with pirates. When I can, I forward the complete emails — with complete "source" information to Adobe, via or their less convenient electronic form.

Thanks for telling us, Ann. But despite Photoshop being on the pirates’ list, and being happy that these guys eventually get busted — this is an off-topic, so let’s see if we can refocus on Photoshop issues. Thanks.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 25, 2004
I felt that it was worth posting that info. here for two reasons:

1. Many of us have been bombarded with SPAM by these Warez operations (which we have been dutifully forwarding to ) and

2. We know that a number of users of pirated software do browse through this Forum and they might like to know that their names may well show up on the computers that have been seized in these raids.

It might be quite a good time to immediately purge any illegal software from their Systems?
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 25, 2004
Ann,

Good points. Let me add that software piracy hurts everyone, whether the product involved is Photoshop or a handy $20 utility — legitimate product users have to pay more for their software and may see fewer upgrades produced. In some cases, the product developers cease to upgrade to even produce their products because of piracy. (You get a sense of the issues if someone ever stole an image or other intellectual property of yours and made money marketing it.)

Purchasers or downloaders of pirated software don’t get off clean either. They often do not get the complete product, or even a properly functioning product. And certainly they don’t get manuals or special offers. They can’t register their software or expect official support; or even receive refund or replacement for product deficiencies. In addition, viruses and other nasty bits of code could be included. And those who knowingly purchase or download pirated software leave themselves open themselves up to legal prosecution.

The cheap so-called "OEM software without the cost of expensive manuals and packaging" is almost always a product of illegal piracy. If anyone comes across a Website with Adobe software prices that sound too good to be true; or if one receives email selling Adobe software at unbelievably low prices; do everyone a favor, including yourself. Give the details to: >

Additional information from Adobe:

Be cautious when ordering software over the Internet. Many resellers with Internet storefronts or those who sell from auction sites knowingly distribute copies of software illegally. Estimates reveal that as much as 90% of software sold over Internet auction sites is either bootlegged or gray market. So, if the pricing seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Some Web sites promise prospects free software downloads. These sites are distributing software illegally. There is also no guarantee that the software is secure or will work properly when installed. The only time it’s legal to download Adobe software free of charge is when special tryout promotions are offered. Typically, you’ll find these only on Adobe.com. These offers enable the use of the software only for a limited time.

Neil
C
Cindy
Apr 25, 2004
I for one would have never seen this post had it been in the lounge…
R
Ram
Apr 25, 2004
What Cindy said.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 25, 2004
This is a good issue for the user to user forum because both the annoyance of the spam and the fact that the piracy effects our pocketbooks as well is a definitely Photoshop issue.

Lounge is a place for those who are no longer with us, you know brain dead at birth.
P
Phosphor
Apr 25, 2004
I got your effin’ "brain dead at birth" right here, Wade-ee-poo!
B
Buko
Apr 26, 2004
Interestingly enough since Ann brought this to light I have not recieved any software spam emails. I usually get an average of 200 spams a day. 5 to 10 of which are "software deal" emails.
M
macmanx
Apr 26, 2004
IÂ’ve never gotten any software emails, but about a month or so ago I got an email offering for a new dual G5 decked out with 4 gigs of ram and complete with a 23in cinema display for the outrageous price of ONLY… $2,995.00.

If only it was for real… 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 26, 2004
One of the major contributors to software piracy is the Universities, well, the kids actually and not the schools.

It’s worse than free love.
When I went to school. The professor (head of the department) copied all the programs we would be using on to CDs & gave each one of us students a CD. We were told to put it on our home computers… so that we would not "clog up" the lab.

Of course he never mentioned this being illigale.

I find that the more students I talk to… this is the norm in most "non-art" schools.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 26, 2004
You should see some of the web sites that sell free love of software.

You can pretty much get everything you’d ever want.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections