Photoshop images w/ clipping paths gone wrong…

SB
Posted By
Steve_Brink
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just upgraded to OS X 10.3 on a 867 G4 (1.5 GB RAM).

I’m using Photoshop 7.0.1, Illust 10 and InDesign 2.0.2.

I was working on a series of images with clipping paths. About half were done before and half after the upgrade. All of the images were 3D renders done at about the same time.

Images were saved as CMKY .eps files with a .jpg preview.

The files that were done before the upgrade place as linked files in Illust. and InDesign just fine.

The files that were done after the upgrade will not preview in Illustrator. They will show up after being embedded, but I would rather not have to do that, and haven’t had to in the past.

The post-upgrade images will flat out crash InDesign every time I try to place one of them.

I tried placing the same images without the clipping path, and they place and preview fine. I’ve also tried just a new Photoshop file with just a black square plus a clipping path. That image would not preview when placed.

Any thoughts, or any more info I can give you to help resolve this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Apr 28, 2004
Know issue. save eps with tif preview.

But the real question is why are you using clipping paths in the first place.

why not just place a .psd with a transparent background in ID.

you are not using Quark so why use a Quark workflow
SB
Steve_Brink
Apr 28, 2004
Did you mean ‘known issue’? Just trying to figure out if it’s just me, or if it was everybody.

I’m actually doing the design in Illustrator, not ID. I just used ID as a test to see if it was Illust. or the placed image giving me the troubles.

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it and it worked.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Apr 28, 2004
It is a known issue with Photoshop 7 running on OSX 10.3 & 10.3.1. The issue was addressed in OSX v 10.3.2 – update your OS. Once you’ve udpated the OS, you’ll need to resave the files in Photoshop.
SB
Steve_Brink
Apr 28, 2004
Thank you!
B
Buko
Apr 28, 2004
But do you really need those clipping paths?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections