J
Posted By
juh
May 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay..I have noticed that my filters on Photoshop 7 are limited to only 5 categories..

I tried to find the filter for lighting and didnt find it..Normally one would go to RENDER then lighting..etc..

Why are my filters limited..I dont want to have to transfer my images to Illustrator just to get the desired filters I need to use

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

HA
heather_arias_de_cordoba
May 4, 2004
Did you convert from RGB to CMYK? If so, then you will lose some filters.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
What sort of file are you working on? And at what bit-depth? Many filters are only available to you when you are working in an 8-bit RGB file. From your description, you probably are working on a 16-bit file.
J
juh
May 4, 2004
I tried converting to an 8 bit RGB file and then CMYK etc…

I still dont have all my filters..

Do I need to re-install PS7??

What do I do??
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
If they are missing from your plug-ins folder (did you check?) then re-install.

If they ARE in the folder, try trashing your Photoshop Prefs.

You may have mis-understood — many filters are not available to you in CMYK. (Only in 8-bit RGB can you use all of them.)
HA
heather_arias_de_cordoba
May 4, 2004
OK… this is weird… I was the one that responded earlier about the RBG to CMYK… now I’m having the exactly same problem as you, AND I can’t use the PLACE feature either…. Almost all of my options are disappearing as we speak!!!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
Are you launching 7.0.1 from a faulty alias?
And have you trashed your Prefs.; and run Cocktail if you are on OSX or, at least, Repaired Permissions since installing new software?
HA
heather_arias_de_cordoba
May 4, 2004
I trashed my Prefs didn’t work, and I did a reinstall. I’m still having the same problem… WOW. This is too weird!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
What System are you using Heather?

You MUST Repair Permissions if you are on OSX.
HA
heather_arias_de_cordoba
May 4, 2004
I am using OSX, but here’s my dilema.I just had a similar problem last week, where I needed to repair my permissions, and it hung half way through, and I wasn’t able to boot my drive after that…. long story short, I needed to reformat my entire drive, reinstall all my software and recover all of my work… I’m a little hesitant to repair my permissions now….
HA
heather_arias_de_cordoba
May 4, 2004
OK… so this worked… I trashed my prefs and all aliases, then restarted and zapped my p-ram. For what ever reason, that worked.

Thanks Ann for all your help!!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
You appear to have a problem on that HD.

You need to run DiskWarrior before real trouble overwhelms you and you may need to install OSX which, I hope, is version 10.3.3.

Also check for other hardware problems like bad RAM and loose connections — internal and external.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
I cross-posted with your last message but run DW anyway and Repair Permissions again.

I strongly recommend getting Cocktail too and using it regularly.
HA
heather_arias_de_cordoba
May 4, 2004
Sounds like awesome advise! Thanks!
J
juh
May 4, 2004
Im glad Im not alone in this situation, can somebody please save our filters?!?!

heeeelp!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
Did you try ALL of the things that were suggested previously?
J
juh
May 5, 2004
Okay…

I trashed my prefs and nothing happened..

I selected PS7 then went to get info>ownership & permissions> and there is nothing implying "repair permissions". Where do I find this option..

Also where would I find "p-ram??"

thanks
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 5, 2004
Actually, you have not told us what OS you are using.

Repair Permissions is done in OSX using Disk Utility or Cocktail.

Did you trash your Photoshop Prefs. BEFORE re-installing Photoshop?

And, of course, you do have an authentic Adobe Photoshop 7 CD don’t you?

And you immediately updated to 7.0.1 after doing the installation?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 5, 2004
OK, for the one millionth time, you either lock the application or more likely you tried to make an alias of Photoshop like on the desktop so you can launch it. But instead of holding the command and option key when you dragged the icon you only held the option key and that made a copy of Photoshop outside the application folder.

To fix trash the copy then trash PS’s preferences and settings and make a real alias and you will be fine.

You could after that repair the permissions but probably not necessary.
R
Ram
May 5, 2004
juh,

You also haven’t clearly stated what color space (RGB, CMYK, Grayscale) and mode (8-bit, 16-bit) your images are in.

You wrote:

I tried converting to an 8 bit RGB file and then CMYK

It’s the last part (and then CMYK) that’s confusing. You will NOT have all your filters in CMYK.
J
juh
May 5, 2004
have my filters….thanks for your help everybody
J
juh
May 5, 2004
lost em’ again…

just to clarify…

I am using 0S X

It seems that even when I switch to 8 bit RGB I still have the same amount of filters I had before, with a whole bunch missing

I trashed my prefs beforehand> then trashed PS7 aliases and what have you..> then I restarted>re-installed>re-started> moved PS7 onto my desktop holding command+option

This morning I have encountered the problem yet again

For the record, I really appreciate the feedback
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 5, 2004
<< moved PS7 onto my desktop holding command+option >>

There’s your problem!

In OSX you make an alias using Cmd L.

Better still, pull Photoshop onto your Dock and launch from there!

Suggestion: Gallop over to your nearest Borders and get yourself a copy of David Pogues" "Mac OSX — The Missing Manual"!
P
Phosphor
May 5, 2004
"Suggestion: Gallop over to your nearest Borders and get yourself a copy of David Pogues" "Mac OSX — The Missing Manual"!"

I can’t agree with that strongly enough. It’s a GREAT book. I’ve read through it 3 or 4 times already since Xmas.
P
Phosphor
May 5, 2004
Oh, and in the meantime, you might want to have a look at this page of OS X shortcuts <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459>.
R
Ram
May 5, 2004
Juh,

Yes get that book. Also, you can save yourself (and us) a lot of time if you give us precise information right away.

I still don’t know what operating system you are using. You write

I am using 0S X

There are many versions of OS X from 10.0 through Panther 10.3.3.

Β… it seems that even when I switch to 8 bit RGB Β…

I still don’t know what your original image mode was, how you’re "switching" to 8-bit RGB (I assume you mean convert the image to 8-bit RGB mode).

Β… moved PS7 onto my desktop holding command+option

That would have been useful to know from the start.
J
juh
May 6, 2004
Dont fret…I have solved this endearing task Ramon. The exact purpose for these forums is to solve these riddles no matter how many times a conflict perpetuates.

Thank you for your concern..
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 6, 2004
Indeed.

But the vital information which could have solved your "riddle" after your first post, did not actually appear until message # 21 — which wasted a lot of time for all concerned and especially for you yourself.

And the problem was the result of making a faulty alias (which I suggested to you back in message #6 but which you still failed to address)!

:~(
B
Buko
May 6, 2004
Also these forums are for others having similar issues to learn from these posts.

its hard for others to learn if you give incomplete info or are not willing the share what solved the problem.

There are many who don’t post but just read the problems of others to solve their problems.
J
juh
May 6, 2004
quite true buko…

indeed i tested a variety of options and i twas not until 21 or so posts to solve this riddle..

dont mean to "waste" anybodys time as a couple of you have said, but you WERE willing to offer your insight which was much appreciated..

now if youll excuse me, i have some filters to use πŸ˜‰

love, juh
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
Some people just don’t get itΒ…
J
juh
May 7, 2004
(sigh) Ramon! Drop it, this post should have been over 6 posts ago but you always add on some finger up yer butt comment in the end..

THANK YOU ADOBE FORUMS USERS!!!

WE CAN NOW END THE POSTS NOW!!

Ramon! Chill buddy, maybe find another forums user who’s trying to figure out OS X or something…I personally loved the tidbit of knowledge I attained from all this..

OKAY!!!

END OF POSTS.
R
Ram
May 7, 2004
As I said, some people never get it.

Just don’t even dream of attempting to tell me what to do, Β“juhΒ”.
J
juh
May 7, 2004
juuuuh tuhduhmeeeeeh!!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections