CF
Posted By
Catherine_Fenner
Oct 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to add a grid to printed photos so I can use them more effectively to paint from. Is there an easy way?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 28, 2003
The only way I know of thus far is to create a layer over the image and file it with the tile pattern, adjusting the size and the opacity.

I hope there is a better way of doing this
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 28, 2003
Here’s a link to a plug-in pattern that may do the trick (designed for PS7). I haven’t tried it yet, but will shortly:

< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=78 38&back=http%3A%2F%2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxQu ickSearchSubmit%2Easp%3Ftxt%3Dgrid%26allprods%3D0%26submit1% 2Ex%3D34%26submit1%2Ey%3D7>

Chuck

p.s. If that long link doesn’t work, go to the Adobe Studio Exchange on the website and ask it to find ‘grid’. This was the first choice, and a 5-star rating.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 28, 2003
Chuck, i think the 5 stars was directed towards the TV scan lines because the grid leaves much to be desired.

the way i have made a grid is to make a new layer above the image and use the ‘show grid’ under window in toolbar and check the ‘snap’ option. use the rectangular marquee and drag it to make vertical boxes that will snap to the grid lines and then use the’stroke’command under ‘edit’ in toolbar and set your color and pixel width. You’ll have to do this over and over to fill it vertically and then horizontally but it’s really not that much work 😉 …you can save it for later use as well by creating a new document and dragging it over to it and then saving it as a psd file.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 28, 2003
Jodi, thanks. I tried to load it and couldn’t get it to appear. The directions said it would show up in Layer Styles but it’s a Pattern file and winds up in the patterns for Fill, not Layer Styles. Looks like I shouldn’t bother anyway…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 28, 2003
Chuck, ya don’t bother with it. TV scan lines have been done to death anyways 😉 …Although, there may be a time you may feel the need for speed…oops, wrong movie.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 28, 2003
Jodi, I figured it out in PS7 – requires some features not available in Elements. Back to Mark’s approach.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 28, 2003
Chuck, in PE1 I had just put it in the pattern presets…is that not what we were suppose to do ?
MB
margaret_brock
Oct 28, 2003
You can make a pattern with just a solid line across the top and down one side and then create a new layer above your image and fill it with the pattern you created.

Margaret
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 29, 2003
Catherine,

It might be worth a search on the full Photoshop forum. Many moons ago a saw a conversation and offer for a free grid which someone there had created. It was probably like a year ago though. Perhaps if you post on that forum someone will come up with it. Many people took the author up on his offer.

Nancy
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 29, 2003
I think Rich (Adobe-guy) came up with a very similar suggestion to Margarets.

Step-by-step.

Create new document – size 19×19 pixels (change as you want), white background, 72 dpi. Set colours to default – D key, then switch – X key (should have white foreground, and black background)
Image>resize>canvas size – 1 pixel in both with and height – OK Should now have a white square with black on two sides (as per Margaret) Edit>define pattern – call it what you want (grid ?)
Create a new layer on your image you want the grid on
Select fill-pattern in the first box, and select your grid pattern in the second. Fill the new layer.
Change the blend mode to multiply to get black lines on your image. To get white lines, CTRL+I inverts the grid, then change the blend mode to screen.

Should be the same in elements 1

Paul
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 29, 2003
Paul,
I use Elements #1. I was unable to make this pattern and apply it – it did not show up among the patterns. However, there is a pattern in Elements called ’tiles-smooth’ – sort of a poor man’s version of a grid.
Ken
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 29, 2003
ken, re; PE1, make the new document transparent.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 29, 2003
Here’s how I made a 1" pattern grid, which is similar to Paul’s method. You will need to make your 1 pattern grid match the document resolution. I used 72ppi in my example.

1. Create a new document, 1 inch x 1 inch. Resolution, 72 pixels/inch. Click OK.
2. Invert (Ctrl+I) to make it black.
3. Image>Resize>Canvas size. Make it 1 pixel x 1 pixel, check Relative and then click on the lower right square of the canvas preview thingy. This will add the extra 1 pixel only to the left and top. Click OK.
4. Image>Resize Image. Notice the pixel dimensions now say 73 x 73, change this to 72, everything else will fill in automatically and you’ll have your 1 inch square again.
5. Invert again (Ctrl+I).
6. Duplicate layer and then turn off the visibility of the Background layer.
7. Make sure you’re on the duplicate layer, and then using the Magic wand tool (W), select the white area and delete it.
8. Now, still on this duplicate layer, click Edit menu>Define pattern. Name your pattern 1in grid_72ppi or something similar.

Now you can use it whenever needed. Create new ones for whatever spacing or resoultion you need.

Patti
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 29, 2003
Jodi,
Didn’t work for me. Following the work flow suggested, I get prompt that some clipping will take place. Clicked proceed, get white square with black on 4 sides, not 2 sides. Looked in my texts, but could not find instruction on how to make patterns. Still trying to learn though.
Ken
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 29, 2003
Ken, give me a minute or 2 and I’ll get back to you. I do things differently ( I’m that way 😉 ) but I’ll follow the instructions given to you and see what i get. I use PE1 as well.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 29, 2003
Chuck wrote: <
directions said it would show up in Layer Styles but it’s a Pattern file and winds up in the patterns for Fill, not Layer Styles. Looks like I shouldn’tbother anyway…>>

I downloaded this one awhile back too. It looks more like a windowpane plaid, than a grid. To use it like the creator suggested and be able to adjust the percentage I had to go through Layer>New Fill Layer>Pattern. Actually you can adjust % of any pattern fill if you go through this way.

I forgot to add this in my first post, if you create a grid pattern like I suggested, it’s easier to create a new layer in the layers palette and then use the Fill tool. Select Pattern fill in the drop down list instead of using the default Foreground color.

Patti
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 29, 2003
I don’t know why that last post came through as all quoted! I only meant to quote Chuck’s part. ???

🙂
Patti
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 29, 2003
Sorry. I forgot to mention that I use PE2. I’ll try to remember that in the future. 🙂

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 29, 2003
hmmm, seems, I got lost in there. another way….new document, transparent, 72 res…couple hundred pixels both sides…use the paintbrush and make a straight line inside horizontally accross the bottom and one vertically accross the left side. You can use the ‘show grid’ in the window toolbar as a guide to get them equal in the right spot. for a straight line..click at begining end with brush, hold down shift key and then click at other end ( ending end ) oh ya, use black paint. then afterwards go to ‘edit’ in toolbar and click ‘define pattern’ it will show up in the bottom of the current patters.

it’s just another way…
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 29, 2003
OK, I thought about this some more and have a revised abbreviated edition. This should work for everyone. This is much simpler — i.e. no increasing the canvas size, no inverting, no deleting color.

1. Create a new document 1in x 1in, 72 ppi, check Transparent under Contents.
2. Select>All (Ctrl+A)
3. Edit>Stroke. Change size to 1 pixel, choose the color (it’s black if you have it as your foreground color) and make sure Centered is checked under Location.
4. Edit>Define Pattern. Name it and save it.

Use as a Fill on a new layer. Voila! Doing it this way you can make your pattern grid any color you want!

If you go through this way, Layers>New Fill Layer>Pattern, you can resize it to 200% and have a 2 inch grid.

If your document is 300ppi or above, you may want to use 2 pixels instead of 1. Just be sure to check Center.

Patti
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 29, 2003
Jodi and Patti,
Thanks.
Ken
I
imacgirl
Oct 29, 2003
Patti, works like a charm, thanks! 🙂

Barb
CF
Catherine_Fenner
Oct 31, 2003
Thanks to all. I’m so new to the program I’ve just cut and paste your responses into Word for further experimenting, but I sure do appreciate your kind responses.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections