MW
Posted By
Matt_webdev
May 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got an interesting upgrade question. I currently have Photoshop CS installed on my desktop. I’m looking to get a laptop for presenting ideas/work to potential clients. Now since I have the Windows version, I know I can install it on a Windows machine but not on a Mac. One of the options that I have seen is to get a Mac Powerbook. But then I would have to get the Mac version.

What I was wondering is can you use your Photoshop CS/Windows to upgrade to the Mac version saving yourself the hundreds of dollars it would take? And if yes, can you just upgrade to the Mac version of CS or would have to go with CS2?

Personally, I haven’t used a Mac in years and it was only for a couple of hours but I’m just trying to bounce around some ideas and scoping out what would be the best affordable options.

Thanks,
Matt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
May 20, 2005
While there may be several opinions, your best answer will come from Adobe Customer Service, since some level of platform transfer is involved.
DM
Don_McCahill
May 20, 2005
First, you would have to upgrade to CS2, if what you are doing is possible. (As Tony said, contact CS.)

That said, I want to suggest this is not a great idea. There is nothing wrong with switching entirely to Mac (so no platform wars, please) but I see nothing but trouble in having a PC desktop and a Mac portable (or the reverse).

You may be able to cross-grade to the Mac version, but I suspect that doing so will prevent you from updating the PC version … I can’t see Adobe letting you switch back and forth between platforms with every upgrade. And other software you use may not have cross grade capabilities, so you wind up paying a bundle for new software.

I looked at switching back to Macs a few years ago, and the hardware costs were not bad. But the cost of changing all my software over was prohibitive.

Don McCahill
MW
Matt_webdev
May 20, 2005
so you wind up paying a bundle for new software.

Thanks Don. That is exactly what I was worried about. I don’t have enough money to do that. I’ll just stick with Windows and find myself a laptop capable of running Photoshop CS and my other web stuff.

Matt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections