DM
Posted By
Darin_Markford
Oct 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using the web gallery, changing the filenames of my photos to something that makes sense (more than DSC00001 as my cybershot names them) to be displayed with the images.

Looking for an easier method, I tried the option to display Caption instead of Filename. I had added captions to the photos through Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition. However, when I created the Web Gallery, no caption displayed below or above the images. Filename is the only thing I can get to display in a Web Gallery.

Am I doing something wrong, is there a different method I need to use to add a caption? Or is this a bug in the Web Gallery utility?

Thank you for your assistance!

-Darin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JD
Juergen_D
Oct 30, 2003
Darin,

Saving the input files with >save for web… does not preserve the caption or title information. Try running >create web photo gallery with files that have been saved with >save as… . You may need to check the resize option depending on the desired output file sizes.

Juergen
DM
Darin_Markford
Oct 30, 2003
Juergen,

Thanks for your response. I actually am not using >Save for Web. I copied the photos I want in the gallery into their own folder called "\My Webpage Photos". Then, I went into PS Album SE and added a caption to each image file contained the "\My Webpage Photos" folder.

Then I went back into that "\My Webpage Photos" folder through the PS Elements browser. In the preview window, where you can see image data, what I filled in as the caption was displayed in the field called "Image Description".

Next, I selected >Create Web Gallery, using "\My Webpage Photos" folder as the source, and another folder as the destination. I set the display options by checking Caption and unchecking Filename. My Web Gallery was created with no text displayed under the thumbnails on the index page.

So, in summary, the source images should have had the caption info, and I assume that info should transfer to the thumbnails and scaled images Web Gallery creates.
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 30, 2003
Darin,

This is a bit tricky. I added a caption with PSE2 to an image. The entry will display in the browser in the "Caption" field. Your entry displays in "Image Description" which is not one of the options in Create Web Gallery. It may not look at that field. I suggest you enter the caption via PSE2
file information, and run >Create Web Gallery again. See if that makes a
difference.

Juergen
DM
Darin_Markford
Nov 1, 2003
Found out the problem. The Web Gallery Theme I chose was "Bears" which doesn’t use the Caption info. It showed a warning that "some features may not be available with this theme". In fact, any theme that displayed that warning wouldn’t use the caption. However, it did work when I chose a simpler theme such as "Simple" or "Horizontal Frame"
JD
Juergen_D
Nov 1, 2003
Darin,

Alright, we both learned something! I’ve so far only used Simple and Horizontal, so I assumed the others would work the same way. Now we know. 😉

Juergen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections