BN
Posted By
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to create a web gallery from a folder with 242 jpeg images in it. Keep getting an error message which says – Could not complete the web photo gallery command because the file is already in use of was left open.

I’ve tried it on two different computers, made sure nothing is open, shut down, restarted, etc. I have also upgraded to InDesign 3.0.1 and reinstalled Photoshop CS per the Adobe paid support person. Nothing seems to solve it. The error message comes up on a different image every time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara Nitke, frustrated in New York

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 22, 2004
Does it stop on any particular file? You could have a corrupt image. You could try doing the export at say 50 images at a time and see if that works instead of doing all 242 at once. If one image is bad along the way, you can close in on it this way.
Not sure if this will help but it is what I would do.
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 23, 2004
Jeff,

It stops on a different image every time, which really seems odd. I tried doing it in batches, but I’m not sure how to patch the batches together. do you know how to do that?

Thanks,
Barbara
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 23, 2004
hmm. So when you do the export in smaller batches it works ok but not when you do it all at once? I don’t know. Could be memory but honestly I have no idea. If it works in batches of 50 or so photos at a time you could just publish multipe sites but that may not be real attractive. Good luck on this. Sorry I could not be more help.
B
Buko
Aug 23, 2004
Have you trashed Save For Web prefs??
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 23, 2004
Buko –

I just tried that, and got the same error message about a third of the way through the images.

do you have any other ideas?

And thanks to Jeff –

Barb
L
linda
Aug 23, 2004
Barb,

Have you tried quitting PS and trashing your PS preferences, then relaunching?
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 26, 2004
LRK –

I trashed every photoshop pref I could find – still did not solve it.

But in case anybody else had this problem I did figure it out. Photoshop automatically adds today’s date to the banner page, and uses forward slashes in the date such as 8/25/04.

If you convert the date to anything without the forward slashes, the web gallery works perfectly. Amazing.

Barb
L
linda
Aug 26, 2004
I’m so glad you figured out what the problem was Barb. It’s a good feeling when you finally resolve an issue. Believe me… I’ve had lots of experience with "issues"… they follow me around. Anyway, I’m happy to hear your report.
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 26, 2004
LRK –

Well…I got excited and spoke too soon.

That wasn’t the solution after all. Am returning to total frustration!

Barb
L
linda
Aug 26, 2004
Sorry about that… you are beginning to sound like me… 🙂

Linda
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 26, 2004
Which means that the problem is probably caused by bad fonts?

;~O

<< Running & Ducking >>
L
linda
Aug 26, 2004
Hey… Ann might be right! I didn’t think about bad fonts being a potential culprit. I’ve disabled most of my fonts… but there could still be one causing some of my Action woes.

Barb, You might want to look at your fonts as well…
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 27, 2004
Ann and LRK –

I would love to try that.
What do you mean by bad fonts and how can I disable them? I believe my fonts are stored in the system folder…
(Sorry I’m a photographer and not the greatest at computer issues)

Thanks –
Barb
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Sep 2, 2004
Just to let people know, the problem was solved by Miguel Chauvez at C+C Computer Factory! I had installed Norton Utilities and had it set on Auto-Protect, which was hanging up the web photo gallery command. I turned off Auto-Protect in the system preferences and the web photo gallery worked perfectly.
R
Ram
Sep 2, 2004
Thanks for letting us know, Barbara.

Norton is well known for causing problems of all kinds, now we’ll have to add this issue to the long list.

I never let anything with the Norton name reside on my disk, especially FileSaver and NAV (Norton Anti Virus). They are extremely intrusive and cause a lot more harm than they do good.

It’s (apparently) OK to use Norton Disk Doctor off the Norton CD.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections