MD
Posted By
Mark_Douma
May 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I guess I wouldn’t necessarily call this an all out bug, but it’s been a frustrating inconsistency for me that happens every day.

I quite often deal with screenshots that are generated through the built-in OS X method which generates a PDF file.

This particular PDF was a two-pager (since I have 2 monitors) so I "opened" it twice by dragging it to the Photoshop icon in my Dock. I’m prompted both times to select which page, and I choose the respective pages. If the original PDF file were named "Picture 9.pdf", the rasterized version of the first page opens with the name "Picture 91.pdf", while the second page opens as "Picture 92.pdf".

Upon rasterizing the second page, I do a ‘select all’ and then a ‘copy’ with the intent of pasting this clipboard copy into the the first page. Since I no longer need the rasterized version of the second page, I hit Command-W to close the window. I then receive a save file dialog for this document, which makes no sense to me.

Twice today I’ve wanted to argue that I hadn’t made any changes to the document I opened, but both times the History palette has proven me wrong. In this case, it makes sense that this ‘Open As’ type operation would require a save file dialog, since an ‘Open As’ is similar to ‘New…’ command in that you’re creating a new document out of thin air, so to speak.

In each of these cases, after looking at the state of the window’s close button (whether the document was ‘dirty’ or ‘clean’) which appeared as unmodified, I made the assumption that the documents hadn’t been modified. As soon as I hit Command-W to close the window, the window’s close button suddenly correctly changes from unmodified (X) to modified (•).

I guess I never realized how much I’ve come to rely on that little clever piece from NeXT every day. IMO, I wouldn’t be so annoyed at the Save File dialog if I were expecting it (by seeing the dot in the window’s close button).

Guess you’d want to issue the ‘SetWindowModified’ function a little sooner in the operation.

Thanks….

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections