JC
Posted By
Joe_Crupi
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I dunno if it’s just CS or what but there is a really annoying text ‘bug’ in PS CS…

When designing interfaces I like to keep seperate ‘page’ designs in seperate layer sets. This works fine as I work in one layer set, finish the design, duplicate that layer set and then use that as my template for the next page design. Doing this, sets duplicate on top of eachother and I usually end up with my ‘home’ design as the bottom layer set.

This is where the trouble starts. As soon as I open this lower layer set and try to edit some text in there, PS decides that it is gonna try and open another text box in a higher layer that is LOCKED and HIDDEN. This becomes VERY frustrating as PS gives me an error that it cant edit the text coz the layer is locked. This means I gotta click the ok button, close the upper layer again, make it invisible again and go back to my lower layer, find the appropriate text I wanna edit (which is usually hidden deep within nested layer sets) and click in exactly the right spot so I don’t repeat the above process. Even when I do click in the exact same spot, it can still jump to a higher text box if there happens to be text there (a regular occurance since I am using the last page is a template).

It’s f**king sh**ting me and wastes time!

Anyone either a) experienced this and b) know how to stop this?!!?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
May 10, 2004
Ahh, glorious restraint.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 10, 2004
Have tou tired double- clicking on the (lower) text thumbnail in the layers palette?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 10, 2004
Click on the move tool in the tool palette.

is the "auto select layer" check box on?

If so,
P
progress
May 10, 2004
and just remember that the move tool behaves differently than from pressing command down and moving it that way…(a pain in the UI)
JC
Joe_Crupi
May 10, 2004
"Have tou tired double- clicking on the (lower) text thumbnail in the layers palette?" "Is the "auto select layer" check box on?"

No and No.

Firstly, I expect that when I have the text tool selected and click on the VISIBLE and UNLOCKED text, PS should select that text, rather than try to select some text on a higher layer that is both hidden and locked.

Auto select layer definetly not chcked.

I’ve been using PS since version 4 and have never experienced this – well – ever since layer sets were introducted.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections