G
Posted By
gravesend46
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there any way to get rid of the unwanted ‘field headings’ (File, Copyright, Date, etc…?) in your finished gallery page? The only text I want is the Description, that’s all I’ve typed in as metadata and I’ve clicked off all the other options before starting the gallery, but in my Image Info window I still get blank unwanted field headings when all I want is ‘Description’.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AW
Allen_Wicks
May 12, 2004
In spite of requests back at v7, the ability to edit WPG from within PS remains extremely limited.

WPG is far below Photoshop’s otherwise high standard of editability.
BH
bryan_hughes
May 13, 2004
Hi Allen,

If you’d like to provide me with a list of the top features that you’d like to see in WPG, I’ll gladly pass them on. I see that you’ve participated in these discussions, actively, in the past; so I’m guessing that you’d be a good source of information. You can post here, or email me at Thanks for your thoughts, -Bryan
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 14, 2004
Bryan-

Thanks for your interest. I am responding here in the Forum just in case others disagree or have additional feedback. Basically the two most important limitations I would like to see resolved are

[A] for each WPG Style to be fully editable (color, font sizes/styles, data fields choices & locations, etc.); and

[B] It should be possible after editing a Style to “Save As” a new gallery style for use as a template. Even better would be if such styles could be generic enough to be shared on line, just like GoLive Templates are shared.

….just like in the rest of Photoshop.

A recall of my feature requests made when v7 first came out and reposted here 2003 July is reiterated below:

——————————————-
First understand that I like the WPG and have used it with many thousands of pix, but that it has always been flawed and can be very frustrating. Basically the issues revolve around lack of control and undocumented illogical behavior:

– Control (mostly lack of) of text styles, sizes, etc. varies with each Gallery Style, and many characteristics can not be controlled at all. E.g. a font change intended to affect something like Caption might enlarge Email Address, driving it to run off the layout. And no way to lose Email Address. All such control is trial-and-error, see what happens with each different Style. Each field needs to have full text control and visibility fully and individually controllable.

-Trying to make a Caption for each image involves opening each individual image Get Info, a substantial workflow headache. And then the Caption only works with certain Styles.

-Today’s date is force fed into Styles as a default and output on some pages. Default should be an empty field. Seems small, but it is a big pain when you wait while a site is generated only to find an unwanted date forced on to the page because you forgot to look for it and delete it.

-Slide Show Styles can not be made to loop, which is very limiting. I use slide show pages in a sort of kiosk mode, and a stopped Slide Show page is a bust. Also, the time between slides should be adjustable, not set only at ten seconds.

-Anything that takes color should have the color fully modifiable. E.g. Slide Shows.

-A relatively real-time Preview function, even of a dummy web page, would be awesome. Anything to reduce the huge time waste involved in trial-and-error layout would be much appreciated.

* ** Important *** Everything is is trial-and-error, very time consuming. Then when you have built your images site ten times and gotten it tweaked to your satisfaction (or at least as much as WPG allows) there is no way to save all the settings. A month later on a new site you have to figure it all out again. Not good when you have a memory like mine.

It should be possible to Style “Save As” a new gallery style for use as a template. Even better would be if such new styles could be generic enough to be shared on line, just like GoLive Templates are shared.

-Easy full access to the Galleries’ HTML would be really useful (insofar as competitive coding issues permit of course).

-It would be nice if the order in which images presented on the web page was controllable. The way it is now you have to fool WPG into changing the presentation order by alphabetically renaming images, which is not always desirable.

I do like WPG and use it a lot, but the limitations mentioned force me to use it only for low level on line images review. With more control available it would be way more useful.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections