SD
Posted By
Steve_Demetriou
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am opening a generic EPS of some labels. I rasterize to RGB color in CS and am getting weak, desaturated color for the label. I open the same file in PS 6, rasterize to RGB and get the correct label color, correct in relation to legacy files on a different computer. CS: L=70 a=34 b=12, PS 6: L=67 a=43 b=15. Opening the same file in CS on a different computer gives me the correct color. Can not find any preference settings that govern this. Any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 12, 2004
your color settings are not the same between computers and applications.
SD
Steve_Demetriou
May 13, 2004
Well, Mike, as a matter of fact they are the same. That was one of the first things we checked, color settings and prefs. Unless you could elaborate more….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 13, 2004
lemme get this straight.

You have one file, (EPS), and you are rasterizing it in CS and PS6 on 3 machines.

One maching has CS

The other maching has PS6

and the last has CS as well.

correct?

What OS’ are you running on each machine?

Is there an embedded profile in the document?

How many images are there in the file?

What created it?

We need more info.
SD
Steve_Demetriou
May 14, 2004
One file, eps rasterizing to AdobeRGB(1998). Two machines, one a dual 1.8Ghz G5, the other a G4 (not sure the processor horsepower) both running OS X 10.3.3. Open the file in CS on the G5…muted colors. Open the file in 6.0 in Classic on the G5…correct colors. Open the file in CS on the G4…correct colors.
The file itself is a generic eps. Don’t know who or what made it but it is a legitimate file…a label for a local diary’s product. Kind: NSPostScriptPboardType I would not have known there was a problem except I prepped the file as a freelance job, gave it to the client, and when he opened it on his G4, the color of the label was off. Color corrections for the rest of the image were fine, only the label was strange. Seems to be something with the rasterization. Tried changing some of the preferences to affect a change in how it rasterized but could not get the label to rasterize out any different than muted.
SD
Steve_Demetriou
May 14, 2004
Another caveat: rasterize the file in PS 7.0 on the G5 and the colors are muted.
GB
g_ballard
May 14, 2004
Open the file in CS on the G5…muted colors. Open the file in 6.0 in
Classic on the G5…correct colors. Open the file in CS on the G4…correct colors

If PSs’ Color Settings are all the same, you say, how are you determining "correct colors"?

If the Info numbers read the same, and you are evaluating the color visually off the screen, then I would hazard a guess one of your monitor profiles is worse than the others…if not the case, then logic says you missed something.

If the Info numbers are not the same, then logic says you missed something.

BTW: What does the headline read in your Color Settings, Custom, by chance? If Custom, outline your WorkingRGB/CMYK and all your CM Policies there, please…
GB
g_ballard
May 14, 2004
logic says you missed something

Either that or you’ve found an Adobe Photoshop color b_ug???
SD
Steve_Demetriou
May 17, 2004
I am judging ‘correct color’ from the legacy files. My first post notes the LAB values of the same file, the first opened in PS 6, the second in CS, both on the G5. The legacy files from my client indicate the more saturated colors. Monitor profiles are good and surprising close between machines. Besides monitor profiles are not an issue on the same machine.
GB
g_ballard
May 17, 2004
I don’t underestand your point, but then LAB values are a mystery to me…

Either all the Systems/Photoshops open the same legacy file identically — by the Info numbers and the screen appearances — or not?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 17, 2004
have you tried swapping the monitors?
B
Buko
Nov 7, 2006
what are your color management settings?

has the newspaper given you a custom CMYK profile?
BG
bob_grantham
Nov 9, 2006
Hi Matt

Buko has answered your question, you need to adjust your cmyk profile to a newspaper setting. If the printer can supply one (very few) load into your machine.Mac or Pc user?
Then select that profile in cmyk colour settings.

If not…….

Firstly one assumes your monitor is profiled to 6500k and 2.2 gamma

Now call up one of your images that was printed in the newspaper

In P/shops colour settings …In cmyk setting select a swop coated profile

Now click on that profile again and you will see a sub menu come up scroll to the top called custom click on it ……

Firstly .In ink colours
select the newspaper profile which has a 30% dot gain

You will notice your colour image in photoshop change colour with this selection.

Does the image now look closer to the printed result???

2 problems arise in newspaper …………….

1.the age of the press effects dot gain. So it could be higher than 30%

2. GCR levels vary from printer to printer Photoshop defaults at 300total ink for its GCR setting I would suggest( unless your printer can tell you) 260% tops and medium black generation (medium means less colour is transfered to the black seperation )

So.. Adjust dot gain till your image matches your newspaper print (may have to adjust brightness contrast settings on your monitor to help but keep a note of settings to return to)

assuming you have checked several copies of your printed result to see they are all the same and you havent ended up with a run up sheet )

If not close try differnt photoshop profiles with dot gain around 30% and gcr level at 260

Something will get you in the ball park.

When or IF you find something save it in the colour settings SAVE function and call it Matts newspaper setting.

Dont forget to change the profile when you are working with normal jobs.

Images for newspaper is an art Matt understanding dot gain , yellow stock, desaturation, removing unwanted colours to keep brightness.

Photoshop opened up this skill to the novice but you need a profile an accurate one if you donot understand dot percentages,

Talk to your printer.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections