DB
Posted By
Dan Brot
Jun 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to use the color cast feature and it is not working for me. After selecting "color cast" in the menu the prompt directs you to click on the area you want to change(eyedropper is clicked and appears), in this case an area I want to make bright white, and select "preview" and then adjust the clicked area for level of brightness.
Well I click on the low-grayish/white snow to make it more white and either the zoom is activated and all it does is magnify the image or a small color pane of the color is presented in the lower left section of the tool bar and nothing happens. The instructions in the Help menu are worthless. Can anyone help?
Dan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
I cannot understand exactly what you’re doing …

You did Enhance/Adjust Color/Remove Color Cast… Yes?
Then you click the dropper on a white area and [with preview checked] the image colour is adjusted. If you click Reset, the adjustment is removed and the dialog persists. If you now click OK, the adjustment is made permanent and the dialog closes. If you click Cancel, the adjustment is removed and the dialog closes. While the dialog is open, some menu entries and keyboard shortcuts are available [like CTRL/+].

Are you seeing something different?

What does this mean:

a small color pane of the color is presented in the lower left section of the tool bar

Which "tool bar"?
DB
Dan Brot
Jun 3, 2005
Hi Colin..Yes to all yet no color is adjusted that I can see. I see no change whatsoever. I click the dropper on the area I want to whiten and nothing happens. At the same time the toolbar to the left of the editing pane margin at the bottom.. after I clicked the area in the main image a small color pain of the color in the image appears in that lower left toolbar pane.
I do not Reset..I click ok yet never see any adjustment in color. If I click the highlighted prompts in a window it takes me to a color pallette, I tried selecting all white but nothing happened.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
I realise what the "small color pane" is now. It is the foreground colour indicator – the colour you’d get if you did painting etc.

When you have the color cast dialog open, with the Preview option checked, try clicking all over your image. No change in colour at all?

Just to check: the mode of your image is RGB? [See title bar]
DB
Dan Brot
Jun 3, 2005
I am at work now Colin..I will check RGB settg. tonite..my class assignement that I am using this feature on is due Sunday.
I get no change in color anywhere.. I did try that..i am workig with snow that is not pure white which is my end result for the assignment. Change the color cast is the assignment.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 3, 2005
If you are seeing the color picker, Dan, you’re not using the right tool. Go to Enhance/Adjust Color/Remove Color Cast. It sounds like you’ve got the Replace Color tool or something.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
Barbara

I thought that, but Dan confirmed the menu selection that I outlined …

The color cast dialog is one of the strange "semi modal" dialogs that Adobe seem so keen on [i.e. you are locked into the dialog and can’t choose tools, but some menu entries and keystrokes work]. I tend to find them a bit confusing and wonder exactly what you can get yourself into with this one.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 3, 2005
Well, all that should be available to you is the eyedropper. When you click with the eyedropper from the Color Cast dialog window, nothing happens except possibly a shift in your image colors, no zoom, no additional windows.

Dan, is it possible that you are selecting the Elements eyedropper rather than clicking the one in the color cast window?

Dan, in any case, I don’t think CC is going to do what you want. CC is mostly for when your image shows a blue or orange cast, not for adjusting the brightness of a correct hue. Levels would be better in your situation.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
Has the snow got a colour cast? I have often seen it slightly blue or violet in photos. I assumed that was what you were correcting for. Otherwise, I would agree with Barbara’s last comment.
DB
Dan Brot
Jun 3, 2005
Hi Barbara…just ordered your book on Amazon along with Colin’s selection by Mike Slater.. anyway…my interpretation of the color cast documentation was that it would lighten/darken colors. The instructions say click until you reach color you want…the snow in the image I want to edit has a gray cast to it because it was snowing/cloudy. I want to brighten it to white for a class assignment on Color Cast. Clarification…when the Remove Color Cast box appears do I just click ok or click on the dropper? Either way I tried and it doesn’t appear to work.
DB
Dan Brot
Jun 3, 2005
The answer to your question about is "RGB" selected…YES
DB
Dan Brot
Jun 3, 2005
Barbara and Colin..it has been brought to my attention that when the "Remove Color Cast" box appears over the image that I should NOT click "ok" until I proceed directly to the image(dragging the box out of the space over the image) and try to adjust the cast. I only click "OK" when I achieve the cast I want. Does that seem logical/correct to you?
I always clicked ok 1st to get the CC box off the image and then proceeded….to try to adjust the cast…
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
I only click "OK" when I achieve the cast I want. Does that seem logical/correct to you?

Yes.

I always clicked ok 1st to get the CC box off the image and then proceeded….to try to adjust the cast..

That was incorrect.

Sounds like you got it now. And you will be well set up when Amazon do their stuff.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 3, 2005
Yes, that was the problem. You were actually using the regular eyedropper tool by dismissing the dialog box. Lots of the PE dialog boxes need to be dragged off the middle of your photo out of your way before you start working.

But no, the color cast tool by definition removes an unwanted color tint from a photo. It doesn’t optimize existing colors. The color cast tool is best suited for situations where you were shooting with a wrong white balance, so that your photos came out looking dark blue or too warm. Sometimes it works for other casts, like you might find in old prints you scan in, but with PE3 the photo filters can be more effective on those sometimes.
DB
Dan Brot
Jun 3, 2005
Colin, Barbara..I apologize for missing this point..I wish Adobe would have said "Don’t Exit" box or something..I have rechecked some Help files from Adobe and Adobe sez" In the Remove Color Cast box select Preview and return to image..(this would lead you to believe you exit the box)click cursor over area to be cast and hit OK." When I get home tonight I will check it out.
Thanks much!
Dan
HB
Herb Brown
Jun 3, 2005
Dan,

You might try opening the Levels dialogue, choosing the White Eye Dropper tool and clicking on the part of your image that should be white, doing the same with the Black Eyedropper tool, and if possible, doing the same with the Gray Eyedropper tool.

Herb

"Dan Brot" wrote in message
Hi Barbara…just ordered your book on Amazon along with Colin’s selection by Mike Slater..
anyway…my interpretation of the color cast documentation was that it would lighten/darken colors. The instructions say click until you reach color you want…the snow in the image I want to edit has a gray cast to it because it was snowing/cloudy. I want to brighten it to white for a class assignment on Color Cast. Clarification…when the Remove Color Cast box appears do I just click ok or click on the dropper? Either way I tried and it doesn’t appear to work.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections