Photoshop Elements for OSX – a new version coming?

DC
Posted By
David_Collett
Nov 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I’m very interested in purchaseing PE for OSX (10.3). However, PE was released 14+ months ago, and has never been updated since. In the world of software (including Adobe’s SW), 14 months is a long time!

I’ve called at least 6 numbers at Adobe and talked with sales reps, customer support people, etc., but not one of them can definitively tell me whether or not Elements for OS X is a "dead" product or if Adobe will be releasing Elements 3 (or at least some updated version with new, requested features) in the near future.

Can anyone in these forums (particularly anyone connected with Adobe products) shed some light on the nearterm and longterm future of Photoshop Elements for OS X?

Thanks!

David

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 3, 2003
There is really no difference between PE for OS X and PE for Windows. I presume they will both be updated sometime, and both at the same time, most likely, just as with full Photoshop. However, nobody can make any kind of informed statement as to when. In the meantime, PE 2 works just fine in OS X, including in Panther.

I would go ahead and get it. After all, registered owners of PE 1 could/can get PE 2 for as little as $29, and I presume there will probably be similar offers when PE 3 comes out. It’s not as though there are any huge bugs or problems with PE 2, after all.

EDIT It’s got to be about the farthest thing from a ‘dead" product that Adobe has, BTW, however long it may take for a new version to appear.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 3, 2003
Heck, you can even buy a scanner for US$99 and get Elements for free.
SC
s_cantrell
Nov 3, 2003
Where can you get PE2 for $29?
I am one of those that got "scanner and get Elements for free." I have XP home ed. I am not sure my PE1 is complete. I can not make the layer thing work. I can not find a simple step by step, tutorial to use.
Thanks, Sherry
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 3, 2003
Hi, Sherry. There is no difference between the bundled and the boxed versions of PE except the printed manual, so whatever your problem is, it’s not that. Did you try the "Harnessing the Power of Layers" tutorial in PE Help?

What exactly is wrong?

There have been many excellent deals on PE. As the owner of PE 1 you get $30 off PE 2 from Adobe (I think that’s still good), and then there have been dealer rebates on top of that. Amazon has offered it for $29 if you have PE 1, but I don’t know if they have anything like that going on now. Check pricegrabber and so on, too.

There have even been a couple of people who actually made a few dollars by buying PE 2 when rebates were especially good.
ED
Eva_Deck
Nov 3, 2003
Sherry, I don’t know if this is the problem you’re having, but many of the links in PE 1 do not work if you have your mouse set to left-handed. I am left-handed and complained bitterly to Adobe. They sent me a copy of PE 2 when it came out for shipping/handling fees.

Eva
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 3, 2003
s cantrell,

check out this basic tutorial

< http://www.elated.com/tutorials/graphics/photoshop/intro_lay ers/>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections