Posted By
Ben_Bloks
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello I am a newbee with PSE 2.
I am working with Mac OS X and using a HP Scanjet 3570C. Both are up to date with the latest software.
When I try to start a scan form PSE2 Potoshop let me select the Scanjet. The scansoftware opens up. But then I cannot scan or transfer the immage that shows up in the scan software.
(I Push the relevant buttons, but nothing happens). When I use the "Back to Photoshop" menu from the scanjet software nothing happens. When I quit the scanjet software. I only have white windows in PSE and cannot do anything. (The programme freezes). The only thing to end this situation is a "force quit"

The Scanner works o.k. on its own, as does PSE2. But I cannot get them working together.

Any ideas? I would appreciate your help

Ben Bloks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 13, 2003
I don’t have an HP scanner, but I do have a small Canon with scanning buttons. Are you sure you’re supposed to be using the buttons when trying to do a scan from within Elements? When I scan with the Canon without wanting the scanned images to open in Elements, I use the buttons. When I scan from within Elements, I access the scanning software without using the buttons. What happens when you skip the button and just use the scanning software?
BB
Ben_Bloks
Nov 13, 2003
Hi Beth,
Thank you for your quick reaction. I realize that I should have phrased things a little better. I did not mean the physical buttons on the scanner, but just using the appropriate menus from within PSE and the scanner software. So the described situation is when I access and use the scanning software from within PSE.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks
Ben
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 13, 2003
Have you run Repair Permissions on your operating system lately? If you haven’t, that’s been known to cause some rather strange problems with both software and peripherals. I’d suggest you try that before we go any further. Or, if you just got done doing it since any OS updates or software installs, post back and let us know so we can think of something else to try.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 13, 2003
I use a 6300 scanner from HP. I know, it is an older model. But I have found that it has been difficult to integrate the scanner with several software programs. So rather than worry about that, I just open the scanning software, scan and save the pictures to a folder, and then just open the scanned images normally. It saves a lot of frustrations.
BB
Ben_Bloks
Nov 14, 2003
Hi Beth and Jim,

I do repair permissions after each update and also when something strange happens I trash preferences, clear cashes and so on, or run some crone activities in between. So that can (or should not) be the problem. I am thinking of putting in some plug ins in places that I don’t know of. Or some preference settings that I perhaps miss in getting this to work.

Jim up to OS 10.2.8 this was my way of working too. Partly because PSE2 crashed immediately after starting up the scanner from within PSE. I have just installed Mac OS Panther and it seemed to work better (I mean the program did not crash immediatly, saw the scanner etc). But then ran into the described problems. So you preferred way of working is still an option. But I cannot get it into my head that the nummer 1 photo software company and the nr 1 scanning equipment company, did not figure out how to work together. So I thought give it a try in this forum

Thank you both so far for being with me.
Rgrds Ben
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 14, 2003
I guess I have just gotten to the point where I don’t care if something doesn’t work exactly the way I think it should. If I can get the job done, it just isn’t worth worrying about. Sometimes at work people ask me why something doesn’t work exactly the way they think it should. I have developed a standard answer: "that’s just Windows error JB." After they give me that puzzled look, I finish the statement, "[J]ust [B]ecause."
BB
Ben_Bloks
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks
Ben

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections