LG
Posted By
Lorace_Graham
Nov 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This has happened to me several times in Elements. The latest was today.

I opened a .JPG file. Used the magnetic lasso to cut out a candlestick holder. Chose Copy. Then chose New:from clipboard.

It had a transparent background, of course. I renamed the layer. Made a duplicate layer. Checked RGB color was on. But could NOT ERASE the pixels that I didn’t want.

So, I saved it as a .PSD file. Brought it back in. Same routine with the layers, but still could not erase a single pixel.

Reset machine, thinking memory might be low. Same problem.

The layers were not locked. Normal mode.

Someone knows what’s wrong, and I’ll be happy to learn the answer as this has happened to me several times.

Thanks in advance,

Lorace

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 19, 2003
Since you’ve duplicated the layer I’m not sure this should matter, but are you erasing from a layer that actually contains an image? Sorry, but I’ve been know to do stupid things like try to select from an adjustment layer. 🙂
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 19, 2003
Lorace,

Or are you erasing on the bottom-most of duplicate layers so your erasures are covered up by the in-tact upper layer?
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 19, 2003
Whenever you are working with a file that has more than one layer, it is a good idea to have your layer pallette open so that you can tell which layer is active. While some of the tools will give you the option to "use all layers" many of the tools will only work on the layer that is active, or selected in the layer pallette .
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 19, 2003
Your idea makes more sense than mine, Nancy, and I bet that’s what’s happening. I now remember not being able to get the Clone tool to work a couple of times!
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 19, 2003
Beth,

Most people have probably done this early in their career, whether they care to admit it or not. 🙂

Lorace,

As Jim says, and I always do, have your Layers Palette permanently displayed on your workarea.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 19, 2003
Hi, I do appreciate the replies, but I do always have my layers palette open.

I even renamed the background layer (read that somewhere) and I’m working on the duplicate and I am certain it is chosen. I’ll check, though, and see if there’s anything else I can’t do to it.

Do you think it has anything to do with having opened "New from clipboard?"

thanks,

Lorace
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 19, 2003
Thought I could back here in time to EDIT the above, but didn’t make it.

An interesting thing happened, though. I saved the picture as JPG to the web. Then I brought it back in. I couldn’t erase again.

I filled the background with white. Used the Magic Eraser and erased the white background (I’m on the duplicate layer) and it worked.

Then I chose the Eraser tool and had no problems at all.

Is there a clue in this that I’m missing?

Thanks,
Lorace
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 20, 2003
Lorace,

Look above the image, if the tolerance value is very small, you wouldn’t see much happening with the eraser.

edit–
Have you tried deleting the preferences file as you launch the program?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 20, 2003
Or, the eyeballs aren’t turned off on the under layers so when the top layer is erased it doesn’t show.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 20, 2003
Most people have probably done this early in their career, whether they care to admit it or not.

Oh, Nancy, you don’t know how true that is! In fact I’m pretty sure I’ve done everything wrong that’s mentioned in this thread. 🙂
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 20, 2003
Lou,

Yup…I just did the upside paper printing thing.

Nancy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections