Posted By
Chris_Thumann
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone ever see anything like this:

I’ve got two network users (OS X 10.3 workstations and server. Users are Open Directory users saving to and authenticating to the server) whose install of Photoshop 7 immediately tries to go out to the internet to adobe.com for updates. The program stops responding almost immediately. This behavior follows them from machine to machine in a lab of 13 networked workstations.

The program is set up to Never look for updates.

The users are blocked via Workgroup Manager from getting to the internet. (Safari and IE are both blocked for their user group.) I tried to fix the problem by allowing them access to the net and by trying to manually install the latest updates for Photoshop 7.0, but neither solution changed anything.

Thanks for any input.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
May 25, 2004
First, a caveat:

Users are Open Directory users saving to and authenticating to the server

That practice should be discontinued ASAP. Copy the closed file from the server to the local hard drive, work on it, save it, close it again, and copy the closed file to the server.

See:

Ramón G Castañeda "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/31/04 1:23pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/13>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Now, to your Adobe Online issue. This is a known bug, apparently triggered by something at the Adobe server from time to time. The solution is to set the Adobe Online Preferences to Never look for updates. If you have done that and it doesn’t work, your preferences files must be corrupted.

The easiest course of action, would be to take the Adobe Online folder and disable it or delete it.

Please tells us if that works. It should.
JD
Jeffrey_D_Graber
May 25, 2004
I have the same problem and no answer for you but it is happening elsewhere if that is any constellation
CT
Chris_Thumann
May 25, 2004
Thanks for the heads up about saving to the network. Over the summer I’m redoing the lab so that our server is only used for user management, not authentication or storage.

And thanks for the tip on disabling the Adobe Online folder. Here’s specifically what worked on the server:

1. Log in as root.
2. ~/Library/Preferences.
3. Rename adobeonlineprefs to adobeonlineprefs_old
4. Restart Photoshop.

Next, on a workstation in the lab, I logged in as the student and launched Photoshop successfully.
CT
Chris_Thumann
May 25, 2004
Scratch that number 4 bit about restarting Photoshop; my server doesn’t have Photoshop on it, so I had to launch it as the user from a workstation.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Glad you fixed it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections